Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E high pitched noise w/ video

Old 04-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E high pitched noise w/ video

Video Below: I have an LQ4/4L65E/NP231C/8.8 swapped Jeep Wrangler and have been hunting down this stupid noise for a year and a half with zero luck.

It sounds like its coming from the transmission/tcase area, and am wondering if there might be a noise like this that will come from the transmission. Its speed dependent, and throttle dependent. It only happens at light throttle. I can hear it usually around 70-80mph which is roughly 2k rpm locked up in 4th. It fades away when I coast, and when I accelerate.

I'm wondering if there is an output bearing or bushing that can go bad? If I spin the drivetrain with the engine off under a hoist, I can hear a very faint squeak/squeal noise that comes from the trans/tcase.

The noise is very high pitched, almost like a bad pinion bearing, but i've already replaced both the inner and the outer bearings in the rear end.

So far I've replaced:
8.8 Carrier bearings
8.8 Inner/Outer Pinion Bearings
TCase front output bearing
Tcase rear output bearing

Any help?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Honestly I do not think a noise like that can or could come out of an auto trans the pitch is all wrong sounds like a differential whine ,

The squeak you hear when you turn the drive shaft one way is just the low roller clutch and they make that sound to varying degrees it is not the source of your noise,
Sorry cant be of more help but Im saying differential whine gear not set up depth wise properly.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

In many threads here about drivetrain noises, it RARELY turns out to be the trans.
And a video gives us little real info.
With a driver in the car on a hoist and someone using a stethoscope under the car might be the best way to track down noises.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E high pitched noise w/ video