Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Internal Modifications for 660rwhp build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Internal Modifications for 660rwhp build

Morning, I have a friend who has a 02 Silverado twin turbo 5.3 that runs pretty well. Well his 4L60E behind the power plant didn't fair too well.

It was suppose to be a "Performance Package". It vary well may be I honestly do not know as I have not disassembled it yet.

He has asked me if I want to build him a good transmission that will hold up to 700/800 rwhp. I know that is about max that transmission can handle but I would like to try. I have rebuilt a good number of stock and upgraded 4L60E's but never one to this kind of abuse. I know Sonnax has some pretty kick *** components and I absolutely love their products.

Other than the hard parts what internal modifications should I be focusing on for this to be a top notch transmission. I don't care to take on a job I'm not absolutely positive I can put my name behind.

Other than grooving the sungear for better rear planetary lubrication what else should I be doing? I will be using sonnax lvl 3 performance build package with 300m HD input shaft 5 pinion planetary's yada yada.

Or possible an article or forum for this kind of modifications?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the money going into the 4l60..hes better off getting a 4l80..a fairly mild built with billet input shaft will handle that power easy..4l60 is a good transmission but I don't see it lasting behind a twin turboed 5.3
Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Launching!

I did advise an upgrade to 4L80e but he hasn't budged on his Trans. It's either I build it or an RPM lvl 10 Trans. Putting it together and making it work isn't the issue, I'm looking to make it better/stronger
Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If you want to go all out check out the parts list for this http://performabuilt.com/blackedition.html and our level 3 combined and you will have a good idea of all that is available.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If you want to go all out check out the parts list for this http://performabuilt.com/blackedition.html and our level 3 combined and you will have a good idea of all that is available.
Ha I actually showed him this build along with RPM's build list. I have a Trans parts distributor so I can get him a pretty decent deal on the Sonnax performance parts. Are there any internal modifications or anything that will help the unit? Anything from better lubrication or clearencing for hard parts?

Like I said I can buy the fancy shiny parts but besides good components what separates a good permabuilt/RPM unit from let's say a monster unit :-)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

We recently had a good thread on this topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ld-thread.html

A 4L65E that has any chance of holding at 700 rwhp is going to cost $3000+ in just parts; I probably have $4000 in upgraded parts in mine (every billet part available including close ratio front planet). Even then it won't be bullet proof and the 3/4 clutch
will still wear out.

Unless the car absolutely does not have room for the larger 4L80E (e.g. a C5 Vette), even a moderately built (maybe $3000) 4L80E will easily handle that power level for a long time.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
We recently had a good thread on this topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ld-thread.html

A 4L65E that has any chance of holding at 700 rwhp is going to cost $3000+ in just parts; I probably have $4000 in upgraded parts in mine (every billet part available including close ratio front planet). Even then it won't be bullet proof and the 3/4 clutch
will still wear out.

Unless the car absolutely does not have room for the larger 4L80E (e.g. a C5 Vette), even a moderately built (maybe $3000) 4L80E will easily handle that power level for a long time.
Thank you very much to that link, I will jot down a few notes as I have a number of questions on the end play tolerances tolerances/ preference on clutch-steel tolerance preference/ and a few others. Guys like you is the reason this site is what it is. Hope you all have a good day. I currently have 2 trucks that need to be out of the shop today so later tonight I will do my best to reply. Thanks again
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Many thing all builders have little tricks and things they use us included it is about a bit more than parts .

Originally Posted by bakomack
Ha I actually showed him this build along with RPM's build list. I have a Trans parts distributor so I can get him a pretty decent deal on the Sonnax performance parts. Are there any internal modifications or anything that will help the unit? Anything from better lubrication or clearencing for hard parts?

Like I said I can buy the fancy shiny parts but besides good components what separates a good permabuilt/RPM unit from let's say a monster unit :-)

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-29-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Another 4L80E vote chiming in here. What's with his ignorant stubbornness?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

In a heavy vehicle like a Fullsize Truck, A 4L60E is a poor choice at anything over 600 foot pounds.

The hardest part of swapping an 80E in a GMT800 platform is the crossmember fabrication, Dipstick & Cooler lines are off the shelf 2500 items, Don't have to extend the wiring like on a F-Body, Swap in a 32 spline yoke on the existing DS, Add the ISS wires, Repin the connector, & a Segment Swap.
Hell, You can buy a low mileage late model 4L80E core for what Sonnax wants for their Input Drum alone!

Keep in mind, When he burns this 60E down, Your going to be right in the middle of the BS!

Quick Reply: 4L60E Internal Modifications for 660rwhp build