Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

improperly seated converter or pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default improperly seated converter or pump failure

i installed a 3500 stall vigilante converter last summer, took my time measuring and shimming. drove the truck about 6-7000 miles, thought everthing was fine until last night. the transmission shuttered twice, then clunked and had nothing, no fwd rev or anything just park. the ends are rounded off which lead me to believe it was my fault and it wasnt seated properly however transmission shop says no, the transmission wouldnt have lived that long if converter wasnt seated properly, any input? im so fed up with this 60e, and i dont trust it anymore.
Attached Thumbnails improperly seated converter or pump failure-converter-1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I've read other posts where the OP carefully installed the converter and many miles later had a pump failure. Pure conjecture, but I then wonder if a previous owner's not-so-careful converter installation might have cracked the pump rotor and it took many miles before it completely failed.
Looks like your rotor snapped in half and jammed so suddenly it cracked the converter.
Post an update when you find out what really happened.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trans shop suspected crank end play, i tired to measure crank end play in the truck, its minimal (no using a dial just prying back and forth trying to measure) im going to say i over shimmed and smashed the pump little by little everytime i jumped on the gas

Quick Reply: improperly seated converter or pump failure