Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearstar Transmissions. Worth the Price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearstar Transmissions. Worth the Price?

With my 4L60E slowly shitting the bed, I've been looking at a number of places to buy from. Gearstar seems to be the trans builder of choice for loads of magazines like Hot Rod, Car Craft, and they've used a few of them on Roadkill. The warranty (36 month/36k miles) seems great, which is pretty tempting. They apparently even dyno test every transmission the equivalent of 100 miles to make sure everything works.

The problem? It's $3,695 for a 500 HP/500 torque rated 4L60E. Seems kinda steep compared to some, although it does include a converter, a cooler, and fluid. The core charge is only $150, so I could probably just skip sending mine in and sell it for more

http://gearstar.net/transmissions/more.php?unid=57

Every review I can find about them seems great, they're even a sponsor here...so am I crazy for considering it, or would I be better off browsing around more?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmm. I just got my trans rebuilt and it was $1100 including R and R. Already had a cooler and I supplied the Yank converter. 1 year warranty.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by farmington
Hmmmm. I just got my trans rebuilt and it was $1100 including R and R. Already had a cooler and I supplied the Yank converter. 1 year warranty.
Don't know of any builders worth a damn near me
Old 05-19-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a 4l80e... cheaper even with the $650 core fee

http://gearstar.net/transmissions/de...php?catunid=11
Old 05-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

While Gearstar is a sponsor here, they have not posted anything in 3 years, don't answer questions or help out.
Why not consider FinishLine Transmissions (FLT) - while owner Chuck also has not posted much here, he is a founder member/sponsor of this forum. Also, sometimes when I don't know the answer to a question here, I ask him to read the thread, and he them gives me some suggestions by phone/email. Best of all, I think his price for a comparable transmission will be about $500 less, and FLT has an impeccable reputation.

Also, sponsor RPM also has an impeccable reputation.
Finally, sponsor PerformaBuilt's (PB) owner Frank frequently answers questions here, provides excellent customer service and a long warranty.

In short, I think FLT, RPM or PB will give you better value and at least equal quality.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I went with PerformaBuilt when my transmission died and I'd do it again. Advertised 700HP rating, free shipping and no core charge.

Quick Reply: Gearstar Transmissions. Worth the Price?