Sponsored by:

4L60E 1-2 accumulator spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:50 PM
STA
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E 1-2 accumulator spring

Looking for some info and advice. I'm a total newb when it comes to transmission work except oil and filter change. I will be installing the Sonnax pinless accumulator piston kit (77998-03K) and purple spring (74926). I understand the purple spring is the outer spring and to place the second smaller oe spring inside the purple (both underneath the piston in the housing).

My question is would leaving out the inner spring and just using the sonnax spring be a big no-no? If not, would the 1-2 shift change and become firmer or softer? Would flipping the spring so it's facing the separator be even more firm but still softer shifting over using the sonnax enhanced spring (77704S)?

Scenario 1) 74926 spring & oe inner spring=stock shift firmness?

Scenario 2) 74926 spring & NO inner spring=moderate firmness

Scenario 3) 74926 spring (inner spring?) facing separator= firm shift

Scenario 4) 77704S spring facing separator=tire chirping shift

Does that sound right? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:24 PM

would be the best to do all depends what are you going for and is that the only mod your doing to trans???
Old 05-21-2016, 12:09 AM
STA
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by albert_87

would be the best to do all depends what are you going for and is that the only mod your doing to trans???
Thanks, I was leaning towards scenario 3 and thought it would give me the firm but not jarring shift I was looking for. I just wasn't sure if this was ok to do with the Sonnax pinless accumulator piston.

Besides the 1-2 pinless I will also install the forward accumulator piston kit (77987-01K) and boost valve and spring kit .500 (4L60E-LB1
). Basically I want to learn how to work on my transmission and these mods seemed doable since I don't have to drop the valve body to install them. I will also be changing the filter/oil and installing a drain plug in the pan.

If anyone can think of any other kits/mods I can install without dropping the valve body please chime in.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Teching In

I just Ordered the Sonnax Pinless 1-2 Accumulator myself.

I am hearing people say mixed things about what Spring to use.
Personally, my car shifts from 1st to 2nd a little stiffer than I prefer.
My Car is a 2000 Z28 LS1/4L60e. Bone Stock.
If I wanted to go just a Tad Softer and Install the Sonnax Pinless Piston, what is the Right Spring to go with??
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:45 PM

Default Springs

Hey so what setup did you end up going with? You used the sonnax purple spring towards the separator plate by itself? Or did you use the small inner spring aswell? Please im at this step and need to know,thank you
Old 12-14-2021, 01:47 PM

Default For staging lane

Originally Posted by STA
Looking for some info and advice. I'm a total newb when it comes to transmission work except oil and filter change. I will be installing the Sonnax pinless accumulator piston kit (77998-03K) and purple spring (74926). I understand the purple spring is the outer spring and to place the second smaller oe spring inside the purple (both underneath the piston in the housing).

My question is would leaving out the inner spring and just using the sonnax spring be a big no-no? If not, would the 1-2 shift change and become firmer or softer? Would flipping the spring so it's facing the separator be even more firm but still softer shifting over using the sonnax enhanced spring (77704S)?

Scenario 1) 74926 spring & oe inner spring=stock shift firmness?

Scenario 2) 74926 spring & NO inner spring=moderate firmness

Scenario 4) 77704S spring facing separator=tire chirping shift

Does that sound right? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

This question is for Staging Lane,sorry to bring up an old post.thank you.

Quick Reply: 4L60E 1-2 accumulator spring