Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall converter question from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall converter question from a newbie

Hey guys i recently purchased a trans am and asked around on the newbie boards for recommendations amongst other questions and was told a stall converter is highly recommended for getting the most out of my car, esp since it has an aftermarket cam (Texas speed 224) . I Came to this section to do a little reading on what exactly a stall converter is but i do have some questions that I haven't been (fully) been able to find out on my own yet.

1- what exactly does it DO? The more I research about it the more I learn about what it's made of, how it works, etc but not much on how it actually affects every day driving.. Does it just improve acceleration but only from a dead stop ? I have been told from someone i know that its really only useful for when you accelerate while holding the brake down so when u release the brake the car can screw off the line... But that doesn't sound right based on the stuff i been reading.

2- besides a stall converter what else are the associated costs/work that needs to be done when installing one ??? Based on reading threads here ive concluded that a transmission cooler is an absolute must.. But what about a shift kit ? is that another necessary add on ? And this im very curious to know... Will a tune need to be done after installing a stall converter ? Because i have to bring my car in for a tune for the aftermarket cam thats in there (please dont ask why it hasn't already been done, lol) .. So if a tune is required also after a stall I might as well do one before the tune/while its at the shop and get that one tune to cover both the cam and stall. If a tune is not required for a stall converter than i can wait a bit longer before doing that project.

3- what are the risks with adding a stall converter? Will it increase wear on the transmission ? Will it increase likelihood of tranny failure even with a cooler ?

4- last but not least what is the associated total cost with having a professional instal one (with a cooler and all other associated costs) ???
Edit- i know this is a broad question because it requires labor rates, location, etc etc but im just trying to get an idea of how big of a job it is. Thank you
Old 06-08-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Couple questions back to you. What are the intended uses of the car ? normal everyday use,street fun,dragstrip,autocross/roadracing,weekend cruiser ? Do you know what your rearend gear ratio is,2.73(GU2) or 3.23(GU5) ? How many miles on it ?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Couple questions back to you. What are the intended uses of the car ? normal everyday use,street fun,dragstrip,autocross/roadracing,weekend cruiser ? Do you know what your rearend gear ratio is,2.73(GU2) or 3.23(GU5) ? How many miles on it ?

it's going to be used as my summer toy, weekend cruiser.. so im not gonna be racing around on it, but if adding a stall converter will give it more '*****' so to speak during regular every day driving than im all about that.

if it really ONLY helps launch you off the line when you have your foot on the brakes and the gas pedal at the same time, then dump the brakes.. then, well Im not going to be doing that. but if it does really give me more of a 'pull' every time i accelerate or even accelerate of a stop in regular every day driving use then yup, im interested in doing that.

as for gear ratios... previous owner didnt mention anything about touching that and he was original owner.. so, im guessing stock. whatever the factory setting is ? I wish i could answer that but i dont really know to be honest. as you can tell my knowledge is basic at best.

55k miles, only thing he touched besides reg maintenance was add a 224 cam..
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Default Stall converter question from a newbie

1. The higher stall torque converter will improve acceleration all around. In simplest terms, and to keep from rehashing research it sounds like you have already done, it keeps you in the sweet spot of your power band. I think your friend was a little confused and gave you the definition of "stall".

2. The transmission has to come out to install it. Not a big deal. A cooler is a must. A shift kit is not but since you are messing around in there you might as well and it is a great addition. I ran a Trans Go in my stalled TA and it was great. It's a good, inexpensive upgrade. You will need a tune so wait to have the tune done done until the TC is installed.

3. Neither the higher stall torque converter, shift kit, not cooler are hard on the trans. Actually they are easier on the drive train.

4.i have no idea because I did the install myself. Get a recommendation for a good shop in your area.

I will add this....IMO it doesn't matter what the use of the car is. With that cam the car will drive much better and accelerate much stronger with a higher stall. If you want something street friendly I had no problems my 3600 or 4000 stall. I found (personal opinion) that both where perfectly it streetable. Don't cheep out on the TC and buy a reputable brand like Yank or Circle D. I also would not recommend driving the car at all if that cam is all ready in the car and it hasn't been tuned.

Last edited by Mike TA; 06-08-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Launching!

I had a 02 TA with some bolt ons, a 224/224 cam, stock gears with a 3600 Yank TC, Trans Go shift kit, aaaaannd stock gears. Fun as hell on the street.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Teching In

if the stall converter will improve acceleration all around im all about that. definitely getting that. i thought it might only be something that came in to play when you have the brakes held in at a red light, but if it helps acceleration all around im all about getting that put in.

if a stall converter requires an additional tune, like you said I might as well get it done before the tune meant for the cam, and just have that one tune account for both modifications (stall converter and cam)

I will start researching performance/dyno shops and making calls tomorrow..

Now.. for the big question, and something that was talking about in the thread i made before on the newbie section. The previous owner WAS driving it around for a while after getting the cam in, and not having it tuned. he was scheduled to get it tuned but i bought it before that. (if i knew it wasnt to be driven without a tune i would not have done that, rookie mistake). .. Do you think any damage has been done ? the motor didnt exactly run perfect but i just attributed that to not having a tune, and didnt really think about the fact that there was a possibility of damage being done. The shop where he was going to get it tuned, and recommended me to go once i was ready is about 30 miles away. I figured a 30 mile trip to the dyno tune place wouldnt be a big issue but every one here is strictly telling me not to even make that small trip, so it looks like its going on a tow.

and also, thank you for the input.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Yeah, just tow it to be safe. Regardless of what may or may not have happened with him driving it, it's yours now, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It can't be undone.
If you have a truck or suitable tow vehicle to can rent a U-Haul car trailer for about $30 a day. It's really easy to strap down as the straps are integrated into the trailer.
You won't regret getting the TC. Between that and a proper tune it will feel like a different car..... In a good way!!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike TA
Yeah, just tow it to be safe. Regardless of what may or may not have happened with him driving it, it's yours now, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It can't be undone.
If you have a truck or suitable tow vehicle to can rent a U-Haul car trailer for about $30 a day. It's really easy to strap down as the straps are integrated into the trailer.
You won't regret getting the TC. Between that and a proper tune it will feel like a different car..... In a good way!!
****.. now im sweating bullets here hoping no damage has already been done. my father doesnt really seem to think so he test drove the car. then again he doesnt really know anything about the computer tuning aspect of cars any more than i do.

Ideally i would wanna get it tuned and get that taken care of, then get the torque converter later. but if a tq converter requires an additional tune might as well do it all at once and have that one tune take care of both issues.

okay now im feeling much better informed and am going to start calling dyno shops tomorrow. thanks guys
Old 06-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Again, i know its a broad question that varies on shop rates, location, etc..

But im gonna be walking in there and asking for a torque converter install, cooler and shift kit added, and a tune overall including to account for the cam. How much would that bill come out looking that in the ball park figure ? 2gs ?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Maldoror124
Again, i know its a broad question that varies on shop rates, location, etc..

But im gonna be walking in there and asking for a torque converter install, cooler and shift kit added, and a tune overall including to account for the cam. How much would that bill come out looking that in the ball park figure ? 2gs ?
This is just a ruff estimate

Tune-$450-550
Cooler- Labor $100 Parts $100
Shift kit- Labor $100 Parts $45-100
Converter install- Labor $450 Parts $100-150(fluid)
+ the cost of your converter

So ruffly around $1400 give or take $100 not including the cost of your converter

You could really save a lot of money if you were able to install yourself
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't suppose you're from Minnesota are ya?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
This is just a ruff estimate

Tune-$450-550
Cooler- Labor $100 Parts $100
Shift kit- Labor $100 Parts $45-100
Converter install- Labor $450 Parts $100-150(fluid)
+ the cost of your converter

So ruffly around $1400 give or take $100 not including the cost of your converter

You could really save a lot of money if you were able to install yourself

what does a good,quality torque converter even go for ???
i found a shop near me... well.. 45 mins away actually.. that seems to specialize in GM/LS cars called Slowhawk performance in Bridgewater, MA. anyone familiar with them ???

and unfortunately me doing all the work myself is out of the question. i wish lol
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

A good converter is $800-850. I think there are a couple used yank converters ss series in the classified section that usually go for $400-500

I have read of other members on here going to slohawk
Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Your car will be okay to drive, just don’t be making any full throttle pulls until it is tuned.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This may help

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...uge-shots.html

Quick Reply: Stall converter question from a newbie