Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Rebuild kits: Jakes vs Probuilt vs ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 4L80E Rebuild kits: Jakes vs Probuilt vs ???

For those that have rebuilt their own 4L80E or the pros that do it all the time:

I'm comparing rebuild kits and so far it looks like Jake's "lvl 2" is the most complete and best value at $825.00. I found Pro-Built offers a "Pro-Street" kit for $502 but you have to add the Forward Hub ($140) and HD-2 Shift kit ($125) as options and buy the solenoids and internal harness separately ($120 - ebay) bringing the total up to $888.00.

Are there any others vendors I should be considering for a rebuild kit? The car is approx 3800 lbs and the 6.0L is going to be approx 450 h.p. flywheel. Going to be a nice street car, no dragstrip duty.

Lastly, price being equal (or close) I'd like to go with a vendor that offers at least some support for the newbie. I completely understand that they cannot build it for you over the phone or internet. Nor should they be expected to as you are buying a rebuild kit and the labor and required research / tools are my problem. That said, i'd like to be able to forward pics and ask questions if necessary and would hope the vendor is receptive provided the interruption to their daily business is minor.

Thoughts & opinions?

S.F.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Both are members here. Search their posts and you'll see who is more receptive to newbie questions, seriously you WILL see.

My experience, I've talked to Dana at Probuilt for over an hour at 12am my time (I'm on the east coast, he's on the west).
Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Two different companies with two different focuses.

Dana is in business to sell rebuild kits. He may still build some transmissions but he's not at the forefront of 4L80E technology. However, his prime focus is rebuild kits.

Jake's Performance main focus is building transmissions. Kits are sold for those customers who want to attempt a rebuild themselves or to pay their builder using proven parts and techniques.

The end result is the responsibility of the builder. Dana or myself can't control the assembly or final result.

As far as answering customer questions, I have done so, 7 days a week, many times after hours well into the night. Sometimes it's not immediate because of other priorities.

Dana is likely using a TransGo kit with his setup. We don't and haven't for years.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:32 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

"he (Pro Built) is not at the forefront of 4L80E technology". Jake is correct, the 4L80E is his specialty, just as mine is the 700R4/4L60E. He builds units much more than trying to furnish kits. This allows him to control the outcome. I specialize in putting together kits to match what the person has (motor, torque converter, rear end gear ratio, etc.), his needs and wants. As far as answering customer questions, we both do that and I think he does a better job at this as he is somewhat younger and still has the energy needed to do this. "7 days a week, many times after hours well into the night"
Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I send customers to Dana often for 700/4L60E kits. I have absolutely zero interest in selling those kits and don't have the time to provide tech support for those sales.

OP PM'd me and this was my response:

Originally Posted by StolenFox
Jake,

Thank you for replying to my thread about rebuild kits. I appreciate your candor and for drawing the distinction between what you and Dana offer. Please know that I meant no disrespect with my question. Quite the opposite, I am trying to understand and respect how you like to do things. More to the point, I can certainly see that for your business $3000 to $5000 transmissions probably take precedent over $825 kits sold to people who may or may not be successful with the rebuild. I'm certain that your kit is superior, no question there. The fact that you know enough about these things to design your own hydraulic improvements proves that.

I know you can't build it for me over the phone or email Jake and that my buying a kit doesn't warrant unlimited tech support. I get that completely. Thing is, I believe I can do this. I would just feel a lot better about taking on the challenge knowing that you have a minute to answer an occasional question or look at a picture from a newbie who hasn't spent a whole lot of money with you. Especially since I cant afford to do it twice.

Thank you,
Ryan

No disrespect taken.
I'm often direct and to the point but I'm also pretty thick skinned.
Some guys don't seem to understand I have to prioritize work, we are still a small business with limited resources, and I stay busy.

We answer questions often for our kit customers.
Some are pretty novice, some are not.
I need to update my kit instructions slightly and add to them .
Dana is a good guy. If you were asking about a 4L60E, I would refer you to him without hesitation.

Just be aware that I may not be instantly available to answer questions. We try to get back to everyone daily.

Jake
Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both Dana and Jake seem to be upstanding folks and when I get around to my trans work it will be a hard decision.

Thanks for your guys hard work, I think the OP will be set whichever way he goes.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Jake's stage 2 kit and I am very impressed with the calibration. It has been holding up to 900hp nicely. It's true, he wont cup your ***** through the process but if you need support he will get you taken care of.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a 4l80e Street/Strip rebuild kit from Dana last week. Was very helpful and overall a great guy. Probally spent 1-1/2 hours on the phone with him picking his brain on tranny rebuilds.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to Jake, Dana and everyone who's replied with their comments. I'm sure that I am nuking this to death.... Just any trying to make a smart decision and not get in over my head! Looks like I can't do wrong either way and that's a good thing.

S.F.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Rebuild kits: Jakes vs Probuilt vs ???