Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deep sump pans worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep sump pans worth it?

building a 4l80e for a 4x4 jeep project, i'll be running a large 7.5x11" trans cooler up front so would i need the deep sump pan as well?
Old 09-03-2016, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Typically the rule of thumb with transmissions are, the cooler you keep them the longer they will last. Deeper pans that add 1.5 or 2 qts of trans fluid really isnt a bad thing and alot of people do it. If you plan to offraod or rock climb or crazy stuff where clearance would be an issue than I wouldnt bother with it. Some people look at it in a sense of "with a factory pan my trans lasted 200k or whatever" and in all reality I dont think a deeper pan will add a ton more life to it if thats what your asking. Adding the cooler is definitely a plus though.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Also if you go deeper on the pan make sure to get a longer pickup tube and filter as well and make sure its fully supported. Ive been out of the transmission hame for a while but i remember people changing pans and later ruining there trans because the pickup tube didnt stay on and obviously if its too short it will starve

Quick Reply: deep sump pans worth it?