Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong is a 6L90.....how much RWHP/RWTQ can it handle.....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How strong is a 6L90.....how much RWHP/RWTQ can it handle.....?

Not for my Trans Am...I bought a Level 4 4L80E for that already.

I'm thinking of getting a CTS-V Cadillac.....and modding it to 700-800 RWHP.

Can the 6L90 be built to live long at that HP level....

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 08-20-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry no one here answered your question - few people here know the 6L80E well enough to answer that question. Member zgp might be able to help you.
I'm sure the CTS-V has its own forum(s) where people have made such mods.
I suspect just a few weak components should be upgraded, but that the TCM tuning is critically important.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Sorry no one here answered your question - few people here know the 6L80E well enough to answer that question. Member zgp might be able to help you.
I'm sure the CTS-V has its own forum(s) where people have made such mods.
I suspect just a few weak components should be upgraded, but that the TCM tuning is critically important.
I would just swap in a 4L80E....but not sure if it will be compatible to run the gauges and everything else like stock.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Modern cars like the CTS-V have over a dozen computers talking to each other on the CAN bus. There likely is a "master" computer, perhaps the ECM or perhaps some type of BCM (Body Control Module) and likely a gauge/cluster computer, airbag/accident computer and many more. The 6L80E has the TCM (Transmission Control Module) built in and it talks to the CAN bus. Therefore other than perhaps a "Gear Indicator", swapping to a 4L80E will not affect the gauges. However, you will need to add a compatible TCM to control the 4L80E and the "master" computer will need to be reprogrammed to recognize and talk to the new TCM. This is non-trivial.
Also, what I just wrote is somewhat "hypothetical" and based on other cars (like BMWs). Again, get the real info from the CTS-V forum or other experts.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Modern cars like the CTS-V have over a dozen computers talking to each other on the CAN bus. There likely is a "master" computer, perhaps the ECM or perhaps some type of BCM (Body Control Module) and likely a gauge/cluster computer, airbag/accident computer and many more. The 6L80E has the TCM (Transmission Control Module) built in and it talks to the CAN bus. Therefore other than perhaps a "Gear Indicator", swapping to a 4L80E will not affect the gauges. However, you will need to add a compatible TCM to control the 4L80E and the "master" computer will need to be reprogrammed to recognize and talk to the new TCM. This is non-trivial.
Also, what I just wrote is somewhat "hypothetical" and based on other cars (like BMWs). Again, get the real info from the CTS-V forum or other experts.
Cool...thanks for the info....

Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 AM
Banned

Damn....just changed the title of my thread.....

I meant the 6L90 transmission....

Quick Reply: How strong is a 6L90.....how much RWHP/RWTQ can it handle.....?