Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e won't go into first

Old 08-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e won't go into first

I have a performabuilt lvl 2 60e, I'm looking for input on an issue I'm having, car wants to start second gear, even if manually placed in first or put in first through hp tuners, all other gears and lock up function normally. Car did sit for about a year and also recently received a 4150 intake /tb conversion.. I have no experience with trans wiring/ internal parts so I'm just looking for so ideas as to where to start diagnosing. Appreciate the help
Old 08-10-2016, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting , First gear is both shift solenoids on. But both solenoids are also used at various points for the other gears, So would seem solenoids not likely. Valve sticking again possible but unlikely for the same reason Verify that first is actually being commanded by the PCM first you can see that in data,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Picked the car up, talked to my tuner, he says the pcm is commanding 1st.. Also after taking it for a drive, it appears it wants to start in 3rd, Unless you manually select 2nd. After take off trans shifts and functions, 2/3 3/4 and od/lockup
Old 08-10-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Your symptoms sure are unusual.
Not to doubt your tuner, but did he confirm with a scanner that the PCM is commanding 1st. Did he verify that both solenoids are engaged?
Frankly, I would seek a 2nd opinion like having a local trans shop put wheels off the ground and try commanding all gears with their scanner. And electrically verifying that both solenoids are engaged (grounded through the PCM) when the scanner commands 1st gear.
A flaky Manifold Pressure Switch might be the culprit, although it doesn't quite match up with your described symptoms.
A stuck "1-2 shift valve" in the VB might also be the culprit, but that is not consistent with the car sometimes starting in 3rd.

If it were me, I would:
1. Replace the two shift solenoids and the Manifold Pressure Switch.
2. Rebuild or swap the valve body.
3. Try a different PCM.

I doubt any trans problem is deeper than the valve body.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The advice Given above seems pretty solid. Start with simplest things first, Also note you may want to check chassis and engine grounds a poor ground for the PCM can cause very strange activity also.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-29-2017, 12:46 PM

Hi, I am experiencing the exact same problem to a tee. After many month and countless hours of troubleshooting and hundreds of dollars thrown at it, the trans shop has declared that it is internal to the transmission since all wiring, ignition, PCM, and solenoids have been checked. Solenoids are being commanded but the transmission refuses to go into first! I am going to get the builder to warrant the transmission that has cost me all of this, and I hope that is the issue. Any more info you need, just reply because I have a lot of info on this issue. Thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Default 4l60e won’t go to first has all gears and starts in 3rd

Did you ever figure out your problem I have one doing the exact same thing.
Originally Posted by 1slow96z
I have a performabuilt lvl 2 60e, I'm looking for input on an issue I'm having, car wants to start second gear, even if manually placed in first or put in first through hp tuners, all other gears and lock up function normally. Car did sit for about a year and also recently received a 4150 intake /tb conversion.. I have no experience with trans wiring/ internal parts so I'm just looking for so ideas as to where to start diagnosing. Appreciate the help
Old 07-30-2023, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beardogg1
Did you ever figure out your problem I have one doing the exact same thing.
same here. Any solution?
Old 07-31-2023, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 501 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gcrazy
same here. Any solution?
Start a thread stating the problem that you are having and what you have done to try to repair it. I am sure would get some help then.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

likely low AFL

Not enough AFL to stroke the shift valve against the spring at idle

Once you get moving and have some throttle, the AFL comes up, and then the shift sol will function for 4th gear.

Not going to 100% be your issue, but if I were a betting man, that's where my chips would land. Seen it too many times. Easily corrected with a few different methods of AFL repair (Central VB drop in valve, transgo ream setup, sonnax ream and sleeve setup)
The following users liked this post:
2BFAST (08-03-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:25 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Thank you MaroonMonster, but this thread is too old to continue and I am therefore closing it.
@1gcrazy - if you need more help, please start a new thread. Let me know and I can copy MaroonMonster's post to it.
The following users liked this post:
FranksCustomTrans (08-04-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e won't go into first