Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some clarification on flex plate and th350 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some clarification on flex plate and th350 swap

I read through the sticky above and with the amount of possibilities I'm a bit confused. I'm gathering parts for my build and selling off what I don't need so if someone could give me a little clarity here I'd appreciate it.

What I have sitting here currently is an LS1 that's in the car. It's hurt and I won't be using it. However I have 2 stock ls1 cranks, one in the car and one in the garage. When I replaced the transmission I planned ahead and got a Hughes flex plate, so I can bolt a th350 converter to it. Today I just picked up an 03-04 LQ4 shortblock that I will be using.

So with the combination of parts I have can I go to a th350 without a spacer or changing the flex plate?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320Chicken
I read through the sticky above and with the amount of possibilities I'm a bit confused. I'm gathering parts for my build and selling off what I don't need so if someone could give me a little clarity here I'd appreciate it.

What I have sitting here currently is an LS1 that's in the car. It's hurt and I won't be using it. However I have 2 stock ls1 cranks, one in the car and one in the garage. When I replaced the transmission I planned ahead and got a Hughes flex plate, so I can bolt a th350 converter to it. Today I just picked up an 03-04 LQ4 shortblock that I will be using.

So with the combination of parts I have can I go to a th350 without a spacer or changing the flex plate?
Is the hughes flexplate a LS dished flexplate or a flat LT style flex plate?
Did the LQ4 you have originally have a 4L80 behind it?
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

It's the dished LS flex plate.

I have no idea what was behind the LQ4. All I know is it's a gen 3 and was told either 03 or 04.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It's the dished LS flex plate.

I have no idea what was behind the LQ4. All I know is it's a gen 3 and was told either 03 or 04.
With the dished flexplate you just need to make sure whichever crank you use is a short crank. Do you know what bolt circle(s) are on the flexplate? depending on your flexplate you may need to be cautious of the converter you buy to make sure the bolt holes line up. If you choose one of ours this wont be a factor as we have all 3 bolt patterns on the converter(LS/GM small/GM large).

The only other item you're going to need is a pilot extender(our part#FCALS) to make the TH350/TH400 converter pilot reach the crank with your dished flexplate. Again depending on where you buy your converter they can pre-make the converter with a longer pilot to eliminate the need for that extender.

Feel free to give us a call or shoot me a message for any questions as well, we'll be more than happy to assist you in any way we can.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

It appears the flex plate has all 3 bolt patterns. I can snag a converter for mockup to be sure.

Thank you for all the information.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It appears the flex plate has all 3 bolt patterns. I can snag a converter for mockup to be sure.

Thank you for all the information.
Its my pleasure! make sure to return here and let us know how it goes.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Quick Reply: Need some clarification on flex plate and th350 swap