Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase a Performabuilt tranny(4L60) or rebuild locally?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

installed a level 2 in the GTO in 2010 with a Yank SS3600. Have 45000 miles on it and around 2000-2500 1/8 and 1/4 mile passes. Raced locally and NMCA/LSX series. Ran mostly 12.50s to 11.50s depending on how much i sprayed. Still driving it.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why pay $2000 for a rebuilt tranny when you can buy a brand new 4l60e for around $1800. It even comes with a new torque converter. You can get a Chevy Performance built new 4l65e for about $2000 and a 4l70e for $2400. Of course if you really want more yet, the new 4l75e with a 600+lbft torque rating can be had for $3050.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

One reason is that with the possible exception of the special 4L75E, it will have a stock drilled separator plate, be missing shift-kit parts and therefore shift like a slush-box. And perhaps need torque management to prevent an early death. When you figure in the cost and labor of installing a shift kit, it makes less economic sense to buy a new GM one.
Granted, I bought a brand new GM 4L60E and immediately rebuilt into the highly modified 4L65E I now run, but I bought it for $700 at a "fire sale".
Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stp001
Why pay $2000 for a rebuilt tranny when you can buy a brand new 4l60e for around $1800. It even comes with a new torque converter. You can get a Chevy Performance built new 4l65e for about $2000 and a 4l70e for $2400. Of course if you really want more yet, the new 4l75e with a 600+lbft torque rating can be had for $3050.
Mostly because they address little of the failings of the units in High performance applications
The converters are not performance or high stalls.
Warranty does not cover racing applications,
Shifts are far far from Ideal for performance.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-10-2016, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original poster, while I can appreciate the comments in response to my earlier post, I stand by my recommendation. While rebuilt heavy duty transmissions certainly are a necessity for many people, you mentioned that your car wasn't a hot rod. How long did your original transmission last? I am guessing well past 100,000 miles. It can't be that terrible of a transmission. Save your money, your rear end is going out next!
Old 11-11-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My truck is a daily driver, never going to see a track. Rarely goes off road. My stock trans lasted 310K miles. But there was no way in hell I was going to spend the money and time it took to replace it without putting something built in there. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Enjoy the extra performance and sleep well at night knowing you didn't put a potential time bomb in your car.

My philosophy is to replace anything that breaks with the best thing you can afford.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by stp001
Original poster, while I can appreciate the comments in response to my earlier post, I stand by my recommendation. While rebuilt heavy duty transmissions certainly are a necessity for many people, you mentioned that your car wasn't a hot rod. How long did your original transmission last? I am guessing well past 100,000 miles. It can't be that terrible of a transmission. Save your money, your rear end is going out next!
Stock transmissions shift like dog dodo. There are definitely a lot of little things in a vendors transmission that make a world of difference.

Also I'm not pulling my transmission out to put a junk stock converter back in there.

And last, a 10 bolt will last forever behind a automatic.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
My truck is a daily driver, never going to see a track. Rarely goes off road. My stock trans lasted 310K miles. But there was no way in hell I was going to spend the money and time it took to replace it without putting something built in there. If you're gonna do it, do it right. Enjoy the extra performance and sleep well at night knowing you didn't put a potential time bomb in your car.

My philosophy is to replace anything that breaks with the best thing you can afford.
Thats my train of thought

My transmission seems to be OK and it has a Trans Go Shift Kit already. TBH, it may have already been rebuilt. Ive only owned the car for 6 months. The guy I bought it off didnt mention any type of rebuild though.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should elaborate on that a bit.
Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
Stage 1 performabuilt here with 3600 stall. Have approx 2k miles on it so far and couldn't be happier! I had some questions after I installed it and Frank was ALWAYS easy to get ahold of and very helpful! Even on a Sunday! Yes nomoneyz plz elaborate! Thx P.B.
Not cool for him to drop a random sentence like that with no info. There are a few easy ways to F up a new trans.

Sorry guys, I forget to check back on threads I post in. Here is the review I left for performabuilt on here. The second link is after I pulled apart the second trans.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...smissions.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...east-died.html
Old 11-15-2016, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I had the 4l65e in my Yukon rebuilt locally by Russmore Transmissions. 1500.00 installed with a new converter and 3yr 75,000 mile warranty. Have put 30-40,000mi on it with no issues. I only bring this up because there are some decent local shops out there. When my Z28's 4l60 fails, it will be going to RPM Transmissions.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 11-15-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Sorry guys, I forget to check back on threads I post in. Here is the review I left for performabuilt on here. The second link is after I pulled apart the second trans.

Thank you for sharing.
However I would like to point out this was all from over 7 years ago. I have not heard of any complaints in the past 3+ years and many members have PerformaBuilt transmissions. Owner Frank also contacted me several years ago to detail the steps he was taking to further improve his quality.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Thank you for sharing.
However I would like to point out this was all from over 7 years ago. I have not heard of any complaints in the past 3+ years and many members have PerformaBuilt transmissions. Owner Frank also contacted me several years ago to detail the steps he was taking to further improve his quality.
question, who is the owner...Frank or Alan? I just purchased a level 2 and watch Frank build it. I plan to install the unit over the winter......Me Time haha...
Old 11-19-2016, 04:21 PM

Sorry, I may have incorrectly assumed that Frank is an owner, which is none of our business. However, Frank is obviously is a key person.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoneyz

While I feel for your situation, You were the unfortunate victim of a defective product. Any builder could have installed the same defective product.

Around that time frame, the company that was actually manufacturing "The Beast" Sunshell changed the process in which they were assembling it to cut manufacturing cost with out notifying SPX filtrans of the change. allegedly it wasn't discovered until it was out in the market and they started receiving them back as defective that they went back to the manufacturing and discovered it was not being built to spec.

That being said, to the OP considering mail order. Are you prepared to pay shipping if you have a failure? While it's rare, It does happen.

If you don't have a competent local builder it's definitely something to consider.

The problem with alot of local builders is that they only replace what's broken they don't go above and beyond to insure things such as the pump is machined correctly or that the valves in the valve body are working correctly. cross leak's from worn parts will kill a transmission fast.

Quick Reply: Purchase a Performabuilt tranny(4L60) or rebuild locally?