Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase a Performabuilt tranny(4L60) or rebuild locally?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchase a Performabuilt tranny(4L60) or rebuild locally?

Per thread title, I'm getting quoted anywhere from 1800-2300 for a rebuilt tranny locally. Who knows what they plan on putting in their.

Im just looking to get some feedback on experiences buying from Permabuilt (or any other recommendations).

Im currently looking at their stage 1 transmission for a DD - no track/racing usage.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

In a few days I will hopefully be able to tell you more. The trans in my truck blew alittle while back. I poked around quite a bit looking for a good replacement. I'm not risking putting a junkyard one in or have a local local rebuild it when I don't know of any good shops. I haven't gotten it buttoned up though. Took everything apart, got the new flexplate, converter and trans physically bolted up. Now I need to reattach, put back on a **** load of things. You obviously can't judge a trans by its outward appearance, but it does looks nice. More importantly you can call up and talk to them for an hour if you want. I did Really great to work with. You're going to need a new converter too BTW. Putting the old one back on means your putting whatever blew up on your old trans into your new one. A went with a circle D converter, also really great to work with.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I assume the 1800-2300 includes removing and re-installing the trans.
There are lots of "disappointed" stories here about locally rebuilt 4L60E not lasting long, although I suspect many of those were "on the cheap" and much less than your 1800-2300 quote.

PerformaBuilt gets very good customer reviews here. One of the differences between our sponsors and a local shop is that each sponsor has the ability to test the trans on a "dyno" (or something like a dyno) to ensure it is working very well; if not they can quickly fix it. In contrast a local shop tests the trans after they install it in your car and they aren't going to remove it unless it has a serious problem..

I understand you only need a trans for DD, but I would still strongly suggest their Stage 2 - you are paying $1000 for a basic rebuilt kit and their labor plus the local cost of removing/re-installing the trans; why not pay $200(?) more for a nice package of upgraded parts.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There are lots of "disappointed" stories here about locally rebuilt 4L60E not lasting long, although I suspect many of those were "on the cheap" and much less than your 1800-2300 quote.

PerformaBuilt gets very good customer reviews here. One of the differences between our sponsors and a local shop is that each sponsor has the ability to test the trans on a "dyno" (or something like a dyno) to ensure it is working very well; if not they can quickly fix it. In contrast a local shop tests the trans after they install it in your car and they aren't going to remove it unless it has a serious problem..

I understand you only need a trans for DD, but I would still strongly suggest their Stage 2 - you are paying $1000 for a basic rebuilt kit and their labor plus the local cost of removing/re-installing the trans; why not pay $200(?) more for a nice package of upgraded parts.
If you call them that is what they will recommend. I was trying to pinch pennys as well, but ended up popping for the stage 2. They are basically gonna tell you it's not really worth it not too, and it makes sense.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I did notice that as well. Its a $300 difference between stage 1 vs stage 2. Thats not a big difference at all, imo.

And yes, I was looking into a 3400-3600 Stall included with the kit. Trans cooler as well.

What price range should I expect for the removal and installation of the transmission? Ive never swapped out a transmission before
Old 10-28-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I was in this boat lol. I would pull the transmission and have it rebuilt locally for $1000-$1200. They do not last long with any kind of abuse with sloppy generic local rebuilds.

Next I had a performance shop rebuild it for $1500 and it went out and imo it was not 100% there fault for the aluminum forward apply piston cracked due to heat as mrvedit previously said happens over time. (Different thread). And I'm sure I got it plenty hot due to running it hard at a road course event and not having a proper transmission cooling setup.

I have since rebuilt it myself with the help of mrvedit and clineberger because I was tired of sloppy inconsistent local shops and all is well
Old 10-28-2016, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by user_ls1
I did notice that as well. Its a $300 difference between stage 1 vs stage 2. Thats not a big difference at all, imo.

And yes, I was looking into a 3400-3600 Stall included with the kit. Trans cooler as well.

What price range should I expect for the removal and installation of the transmission? Ive never swapped out a transmission before
I'm assuming this is going in a 4th gen f-body?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I'm assuming this is going in a 4th gen f-body?
Yes - should have clarified
Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

I called FTI before I bought my trans and talked to them about their converters. I then talked to Circle D and felt it was a better match for me. And I believe it's cheaper. Supposed to retain near stock drive-ability at light throttle but really flash when you start to get on it.

I have no idea what it costs to replace. I'm 2/3's done on my lifted 4wd truck and it's not really fun. Two guys a full day to get it on ramps, get tools out and get the new trans bolted on. Should be a lot simpler with a 2wd vehicle. I guy I talk to on here says 6-8 hours doing it alone. You're gonna want to purchase a trans jack too probably. Big help.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Just a rough guess but I would guess a shop would charge 7 hours labor plus materials. (3½ hrs out. 3½ hrs in) so around $500 - $650 labor plus materials (transmission fluid )

With my car on 4 jack stands I can have it out in a few hours. And in at about 4 hours but I have also done it a few times lol.

Are you interested in attempting it yourself? Do you have space available and another vehicle to use? If so there are plenty of us that will be willing to walk ya threw it. Honestly it is pretty straight forward. No special tools needed. Just a couple time consuming steps.

A floor jack will work just fine in dropping the transmission down and then back up. That is the only part were a extra hand is nice. But the rest can be done by yourself.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Launching!

PerformaBuilt did my trans just about a year ago and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I to sent my trans to them for the work and had it back in less than two weeks. The car is a 2004 Corvette and I did the removal and re-installation in my garage on jack stands. C5 transmission cases are different from other 4L60e's and not easy to come by, which necessitated sending my trans to PerformaBuilt for the work. I'm running about 425 HP at the rear wheels and the trans takes everything I hand it without a hitch.

If you have an F body, all you have to do is order the trans and do the installation when it's delivered to your door. You'll have a much better unit than you're likely to get locally.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Finished mine up this weekend. Went OK. Again, 4wd is a pain in the *** but it's done. Doesn't shift harshly but I haven't given it a WOT shift yet so we'll see how that is. Supposed to be firm at WOT. Circle D converter is perfect. You have to give it a liiiitle bit more gas from a dead stop, but other than that it acts pretty normal cruising around. Get into the throttle and it will flash up nicely. I spun my 35 inch tall truck tires from a dead stop on dry pavement a little for the first time ever! So so far so good for Performabuilt and Circle D.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Teching In

thanks for the feedback. what was your stall rated at?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went through two performabuilt stage 2 transmissions. My car has maybe 300hp. I would never recommend them to anyone. Most expensive paperweight I own.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the feedback. what was your stall rated at?
It's the higher of the two stalls available for their lowest price units. I want to say 3200-3400????
Old 10-31-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
I went through two performabuilt stage 2 transmissions. My car has maybe 300hp. I would never recommend them to anyone. Most expensive paperweight I own.
I think you should elaborate on that a bit.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a Performabuilt lvl 2 and an fti converter and love it. Had it since February and have multiple quarter mile trips with many more planned.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stage 1 performabuilt here with 3600 stall. Have approx 2k miles on it so far and couldn't be happier! I had some questions after I installed it and Frank was ALWAYS easy to get ahold of and very helpful! Even on a Sunday! Yes nomoneyz plz elaborate! Thx P.B.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ran a performabuilt stage 2 on my old Z28.. no issues at all. i am strongly considering getting another stage 2 for my WS6 this time.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ironmikektm525
Stage 1 performabuilt here with 3600 stall. Have approx 2k miles on it so far and couldn't be happier! I had some questions after I installed it and Frank was ALWAYS easy to get ahold of and very helpful! Even on a Sunday! Yes nomoneyz plz elaborate! Thx P.B.
Not cool for him to drop a random sentence like that with no info. There are a few easy ways to F up a new trans.

Quick Reply: Purchase a Performabuilt tranny(4L60) or rebuild locally?