Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e intermittent grinding reverse + more hd2

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e intermittent grinding reverse + more hd2

Well this is a new issue for me, and I cant seem to find much info from searching around. This is in my 03 2500hd 4x4, I put in a transgo hd2 kit about 15k ago so I doubt its relevant but who knows. At the same time obviously new fluid, filter, truck has a big trans cooler.

So there has been one ongoing issue and 2 new bigger ones. The first is the converter unlocks or something anytime going downhill or really even letting off the gas and I hear kind of a winding up sound. If i tap the gas it locks back in until I let off again. Been living with this for a while, truck is a 5th vehicle and only gets used when I need a truck, but Ive seen this may be a brake switch..?

Here are the 2 new issues, maybe related to the first? About 60-70% of the time when I shift into reverse it doesnt click in, just ratchets or grinds, sounds pretty bad. When it does shift in it is as strong as ever, I can still back a 10k trailer up a hill.

And now about 30% of the time when I go to park it does not lock in and the truck can roll away. No amount of wiggling the shifter or driving seems to change this only time.

With all these symptoms, truck still drives forward great, has all gears, strong as ever no slipping.

I dont see how this could be a linkage adjustment issue because when it doesnt work there is no place that I can move the shifter to that does make it work, and nd321 all still is exactly where it should be.

My next plan is to hook up a pressure gauge this week and see where its at, but I would assume low psi would affect forward as well, and I assumed that the parking pawl was physical not hydraulic but Ive never looked into it.

Anyone got any ideas, snows coming and its very hard to plow without reverse lol? I not afraid to tear into it and chase it down but a little direction would certainly help. Ive thought about bringing it to a trans shop, but they are pretty low on my -outside services I trust- list. Id probably replace or rebuild the whole thing myself before doing that.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:10 PM
MASS seller approved

No ideas?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm by no means a trans guy, but it "sounds" like something with the shifter shaft inside of the trans.
Like I said, just guessing.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I cant help you with your problems unfortunately, but maybe you can help me.

I have an 04 2500hd 4x4 6.0, and also did the hd2 shift kit. the first 100 miles or so it really slammed the shifts, but now its just a little firmer then stock. how does yours shift? did you notice at first it shifted firmer then settled down?

Thank you and I hope you get some answers soon.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 PM
MASS seller approved

I would say it was slightly stiffer when I first did it, but maybe now Im just used to it. Ive done 2 trucks with this kit, the second one I setup even stiffer, that one slams pretty good when youre on the gas.

I talked to a trans guy today, he said it was a transfer case issue. If thats the case thats great news. Im going to rebuild that and see what happens. I will keep this updated although it will be a few weeks before parts come in and I get it done.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok so there too much slack in xfer case chain and its skipping over sprockets.
My sons S10 did the same thing but no problems in park.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:06 PM
MASS seller approved

Dont think so, chain only spins when in 4wd, so tension should be irrelevant in 2wd. The problem happens in 2 or 4wd, Id think more likely a fork issue or something like that.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:54 PM
MASS seller approved

It ended up being the range fork, should be .368in thick, was worn down to paper thin. This allowed the gear to hop out of high range into the void before low range.

Quick Reply: 4l80e intermittent grinding reverse + more hd2