Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e lost 3rd but 4th still works

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e lost 3rd but 4th still works

I have a 2000 silverado with the 5.3. When driving it shifts fine from 1st to 2nd almost seems to go to neutral in third but then shifts into overdrive fine. Scanning with the tech2 it shows no faults
​​​​​​​and it seems to be commanding the right gears. I unplugged the connector to the transmission and when I shift into 3rd it acts like it's in first and then when I shift to Second it up shifts. Since 4th gear works fine I'm assuming that the 3-4 clutches are good so I'm at a loss as to what is actually going on with this transmission.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by AceHaag
I have a 2000 silverado with the 5.3. When driving it shifts fine from 1st to 2nd almost seems to go to neutral in third but then shifts into overdrive fine. Scanning with the tech2 it shows no faults
​​​​​​​and it seems to be commanding the right gears. I unplugged the connector to the transmission and when I shift into 3rd it acts like it's in first and then when I shift to Second it up shifts. Since 4th gear works fine I'm assuming that the 3-4 clutches are good so I'm at a loss as to what is actually going on with this transmission.
Your 3-4 clutch pack could still be toast and still have 4th for in second gear and in 4th gear the 2-4 band is applied.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but didn't want to be wrong and put out bad info at the start of a thread.

When my 3-4 clutch pack was dying, some extra gas would push it to 4th. RPM's would jump up and then stabilize in 4th. It died like a week later. Upon inspecting during my rebuild, the band still looked pretty decent although it was of course worn thinner than the new band. But the 3-4 clutch pack was worn down to the metal.

Quick Reply: 4l60e lost 3rd but 4th still works