Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a 2-3 shift valve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Is this a 2-3 shift valve?

I'm finishing up a LT1/4l60E swap into a Jaguar XJS. The engine/trans is out of a 1996 Chevy Caprice police car. Everything is done, except the trans seems to slip, or maybe is stuck in 2nd or 3rd. There are some shift solenoid codes, and the internet says replacing the solenoids might help.

Today I replaced the solenoids and filter and put the pan back on. Then I noticed the below part just sitting there on the cardboard?! I did a bunch of googling, and I think it's the 2-3 shift solenoid. I think the small end goes into the valve body first. Can anybody confirm this?
Attached Thumbnails Is this a 2-3 shift valve?-img_0984.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Looks to be the 1-2 shift valve and if I recall there should be a spring that goes in first, then the valve with the small end first then the solenoid held in with a metal clip/retainer
The following users liked this post:
Mr. R (08-22-2020)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/...t-valve-4l60e/

1-2 valve.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. Like they said, it was the 1-2 valve, and it went in small end first. The spring was still in the valve body.

Unfortunately after I refilled the trans and test drove it the problem was still there. It seems like the trans isn't shifting automatically. If I put it in 2nd it accelerates quickly, it's a little slower in 3rd, and when I put it in D it accelerates like it's in 4th gear. The trans worked correctly when I pulled it a few years ago. I'm using a PCI harness and the original unflashed PCM.

I'm thinking this is an electrical issue. I'm pretty sure I have the brake and the park/neutral switch wired correctly to the PCM. I know the VSS works because I can see the speed when I connect my tablet using Torque. What else could it be?
Does anyone have suggestions on what to check next?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

At the same time I posted here, I emailed PCI, and they called me about an hour later. After a brief conversation, we are pretty sure I have the big round transmission connector on backwards. I can feel the arrow on the connector is facing the trans, and it is supposed to be facing away. Now I just have somehow reach up in there and disconnect the connector. I'm going to try tomorrow with different sizes of channel locks and angled needle nose pliers and see if that will work.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the connector was on backwards. [stupid emoticon]
Old 08-22-2020, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlwilson
Thanks for the replies. Like they said, it was the 1-2 valve, and it went in small end first. The spring was still in the valve body.

Unfortunately after I refilled the trans and test drove it the problem was still there. It seems like the trans isn't shifting automatically. If I put it in 2nd it accelerates quickly, it's a little slower in 3rd, and when I put it in D it accelerates like it's in 4th gear. The trans worked correctly when I pulled it a few years ago. I'm using a PCI harness and the original unflashed PCM.
I'm thinking this is an electrical issue. I'm pretty sure I have the brake and the park/neutral switch wired correctly to the PCM. I know the VSS works because I can see the speed when I connect my tablet using Torque. What else could it be?
Does anyone have suggestions on what to check next?
Sounds like a leak and it may have destroyed the 3 - 4 clutch pack. That is where i would start.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

@Mr. R welcome to LS1 Tech. Just a pointer here, you are posting to threads that are no longer active and have not been for years. This one is over 4 years old. Look at the date at the top left of the post. We are all looking forward to your contribution to the LS1 Tech community. Which by the way is one of the best if not the best GM transmission forum out there.

Quick Reply: Is this a 2-3 shift valve?