Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those doing their first transmission...don't do this.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default For those doing their first transmission...don't do this.

As I was building the direct drum, I noticed that I was 1 clutch short...as the previous builder had 6 clutches in the drum instead of 5. So, i used one of the old clutches that was still in good shape so that I had just as many clutches going in as was there before. When I went to check the clearance, it was stupid tight. So I removed a clutch and plate....and wouldn't you know it.....clearance was perfect. If you want extra clutches, it pays to either have a drum that is set up for extra clutch.....or get creative with your steels. Otherwise, this will happen. Btw, I was wondering why some of the clutches were smoked.....till I checked the clutch clearance.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Clutches and steels both come in different thicknesses. He could of used a 6 clutch setup and still had good clearance.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Clutches and steels both come in different thicknesses. He could of used a 6 clutch setup and still had good clearance.
I'm using the same clutch thickness, and I'm reusing the steels. To be clear, I'm not trying to come off as an expert....because im far from it, and this is my first trans myself. But it looks to me that the pack was so tight, it really didn't disengage as it should.....killing the clutches.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I'm using the same clutch thickness, and I'm reusing the steels. To be clear, I'm not trying to come off as an expert....because im far from it, and this is my first trans myself. But it looks to me that the pack was so tight, it really didn't disengage as it should.....killing the clutches.
Got ya, ya I absolutely was not trying to come off a expert myself because I'm FAR from lol. Was just making ya aware that steels and frictions come in many different thicknesses.

How's the build going so far?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Got ya, ya I absolutely was not trying to come off a expert myself because I'm FAR from lol. Was just making ya aware that steels and frictions come in many different thicknesses.

How's the build going so far?
Eh, it's going ok. Really, this thing should have been built and installed weeks ago. But I've been dragging my feet, picking at it here and there every 4 or 5 days. I think if the weather was warm, things would be different. But now, I'm going to be ono vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow.....so it's going to take that much longer to get the car back on the road.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
If the clutches are all worn to nothing how do you know what the original thickness was?

You'll figure it out later. The forward drum will not go in if the direct clutches don't move around.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
If the clutches are all worn to nothing how do you know what the original thickness was?

You'll figure it out later. The forward drum will not go in if the direct clutches don't move around.
All of the clutches weren't smoked. Only some were, which is why I didn't feel bad about trying to reuse one. There were some that didn't appear to have any wear whatsoever on them.

Quick Reply: For those doing their first transmission...don't do this.