Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l65E - have an overflow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4l65E - have an overflow?

Apparently the 4L65e that I have had a bit more fluid in it than I had been told. I was adding fluid, and on the 10th qt it is not draining down the funnel well, and about that time I hear this glub glub sound under the car. Trans fluid is running all over the floor. Panic didn't allow much time to study where it was coming from, as I went to grab my oil catch container to put under it.

So, with just quick glance it looks like maybe it came out at the pan / gasket mating surface. I'm not thinking that should be the case...unless the shop didn't torque the pan right.

My qustion, is there an overflow of some type for dummies that over-fill the transmission? Might the fluid be coming from that?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

There is a breather pipe on top that fluid will be pumped out of when running and overfilled. There is usually also a rubber hose attached to divert the fluid towards the rear of the vehicle a couple feet due to its flammability if leaked onto hot exhaust ECT.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you. I appreciate it very much. I remember seeing that, but wasn't sure what it was.

So that overflowed while engine was off and I was filling. To be sure...I can expect that to overflow more when I start the engine...IF it is too full? I don't need to worry about removing fluid from the transmission?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you trying to fill the trans with the motor on or off?? When you fill a fresh unit you put 4qts in first,start it up then add more fluid. A stock 4L60e takes about 12qts,that is with a **stock converter**. Put in in Reverse,drive back to park,check fluid. You want to fill until the fluid is in the middle of the cross hatchs on the dipstick. Fluid level will rise once it get hot...so check it after a test drive.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Do not run the engine/trans with it that much overfilled.

Clean up the mess, drop the pan, and start over.

As mentioned above put 4-5 qts in and then start the engine and let it idle while filling and checking the fluid. Move the shifter through the gears and check it again while running.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bummer.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

No, the bummer is when you damage the trans because it is severely overfilled.

My often repeated suggestion is to fill the trans with the engine OFF, until the dipstick reads about 1" above full. This level is safe enough to start the engine and let things warm up for proper readings. (Jake reprimanded me for implying it was safe enough to drive easy.)
The level will go down when the engine starts because the pump will then fill the converter.
So promptly check the level after the engine starts and bring the fluid up to the lower "cold" crosshatch. As mentioned the level will rise as the trans warms up.

I understand that the Gen-4 trans fluid is difficult to measure because of the bend in the tube, but you need to do your best.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrvedit
No, the bummer is when you damage the trans because it is severely overfilled.
AGREED!

I should have actually posted and asked about proper filling as opposed to just looking up the quantity. I thought putting in 11 when it supported 12 would have me covered.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

If this is a newly installed transmission and torque converter it will not hurt it to start the engine and shift it through the gears and then recheck with the engine running. With everything installed and operating correctly the fluid level will go down as soon as the engine is started. Then recheck the fluid level. As said if this is a newly installed transmission after the engine is started the fluid should be close to where it should be, but check it to be sure. The damage from over filling a transmission comes from driving. The overfilled fluid level will be up into the spinning parts and aerate the fluid possibly causing the transmission to slip, overheat and blowing fluid out the vent.

Last edited by bbond105; 01-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It won't hurt the trans being over filled to start. Like everyone said drain it and refill. More then likely you should be close to the full mark once the trans puks the fluid out of the over flow. It makes a fukin mess for sure. After your done check to make sure you don't have any leaks
Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'll get it started pretty soon, run it through the gears, and see how it goes.

I'll post back.

Quick Reply: 4l65E - have an overflow?