Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to Th400 swap (already checked sticky)

Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default M6 to Th400 swap (already checked sticky)

Going to be installing the 400 that I've finally finished building next Saturday. Question is, is it necessary to remove the pilot bearing from the crank...or is it OK to just let it be? Another thing that I noticed that the sticky didn't cover was if the stock driveshaft length would work with the 400 and 10bolt. Amy help would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you will find your stock driveshaft is 2" to 2.5" too short for the 400.

If you need to remove the pilot bearing will vary on how you did the swap.

If using a crank spacer,

the GM truck one.. might not need to remove bearing.

The Hughes style crank spacer .. you do need remove the pilot bearing.

If you have a purpose built ls1-TH400 converter.. again need to remove pilot bearing.

Plus it weighs a gram or two, so remove it anyway LOL
Old 02-02-2017, 04:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Launch
I think you will find your stock driveshaft is 2" to 2.5" too short for the 400.

If you need to remove the pilot bearing will vary on how you did the swap.

If using a crank spacer,

the GM truck one.. might not need to remove bearing.

The Hughes style crank spacer .. you do need remove the pilot bearing.

If you have a purpose built ls1-TH400 converter.. again need to remove pilot bearing.

Plus it weighs a gram or two, so remove it anyway LOL
Thanks. Welp, looks like I need to get under there and pull it. I'm using a PTC converter specific to LS. Know of anyone that makes some type of Mount that works with the stick torque arm.....that isn't almost $300? I've found some mounts, but they cost more than I care to spend. Of course, if I have to then I will.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:02 AM
11 Second Club

I went through the same thing with my mount. I haven't seen a cheaper option. I thought about fabbing something, but at the end of the day I couldn't go past the easiness of just buying the BMR mount and poly bushing. Plus you get a lot of adjustment holes with it. The stock length torque arms with relocation mount poly front bushing and adjustability can 60ft very well. One guy one here with an 8.9 second nitrous stock bottom end ls1 has only that. 60's 1.2 something
Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 AM
11 Second Club

Here's my TH400 BMR relocation mount. Bolted straight up and perfect when i first test fitted it for doing the LS swap.

But I then decided to move my engine back 1" from stock and also center my engine/transmission in the chassis. So I then had to modify the mount a little for the transmission mount, which is why the bolts for the trans mount are now offset to the left hand side and sticking out the back of it on extra plate I welded on....

I also have a Pontiac long extension housing on my TH400 which is 5.5" longer than the short TH400's
Old 02-02-2017, 05:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Launch
Here's my TH400 BMR relocation mount. Bolted straight up and perfect when i first test fitted it for doing the LS swap.

But I then decided to move my engine back 1" from stock and also center my engine/transmission in the chassis. So I then had to modify the mount a little for the transmission mount, which is why the bolts for the trans mount are now offset to the left hand side and sticking out the back of it on extra plate I welded on....

I also have a Pontiac long extension housing on my TH400 which is 5.5" longer than the short TH400's
So even with the long tail, your driveshaft was still short? And did the kit you ordered come with the clam shell? I ask because I forgot to keep mine when I sold the t56. Not that serious of a deal, but was just curious. And thanks for the pic.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
So even with the long tail, your driveshaft was still short? And did the kit you ordered come with the clam shell? I ask because I forgot to keep mine when I sold the t56. Not that serious of a deal, but was just curious. And thanks for the pic.
Nah, the other way around, the long tail I have made the driveshaft need to be shorter than the stock 4l60 driveshaft.

If your TH400 has the typical short tail, you will be the other way around, you will need a 2 to 2.5 " longer driveshaft over your stock 4l60 one.

The relocation mount didn't come with a poly bushing from memory. I think I bought the UMI brand one at the time because Summit had it in stock.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought you could use the stock t56 trans mount? I guess I was misinformed
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
I thought you could use the stock t56 trans mount? I guess I was misinformed
You can, but the issue you will have is.....what to do with your torque arm as the 400 doesn't have a mounting provision.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you can still use the t56 crossmember for a short tail. that helps with the support. works out perfectly BUT you still need a longer driveshaft. don't forget the yoke don't recall the differences on these

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-731001/overview/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M6 to Th400 swap (already checked sticky)