Sponsored by:

1998 Auto concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Auto concerns

Hi guys,

I've got a 1998 T/A A4 with the sport package? the aluminum driveshaft and 3.23 gears from the factory. The car has 106K miles and is essentially a daily for me, but probably sees the roads a couple times a week at this point.

I've never Neutral dropped it, or held the brake and the gas at the same time to race, nor has it seen the track ever. I've owned it for the last decade and it's been solid as ever. I changed the trans fluids when I bought it in '06 and again last year after it hit 104K.

Now I've noticed especially on cold days (GA cold, so 30'ish degrees F) that it doesn't want to coast/go into 1st. It's either delaying it's coast when I let go of the brake and then jerking forward a few times. Or if I'm at a light and go from brakes to gas, it wants to be unresponsive and then slam into gear.

It doesn't do this all the time, and the only other issue I've had with it in my ownership that might be relative is that it feels like it drops an inch or so when I go between gears, reverse to park, park to drive, reverse to drive. I've always just thought this was normal, as it's never been an issue and isn't delayed or unresponsive as a result.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The_Spot

Now I've noticed especially on cold days (GA cold, so 30'ish degrees F) that it doesn't want to coast/go into 1st. It's either delaying it's coast when I let go of the brake and then jerking forward a few times. Or if I'm at a light and go from brakes to gas, it wants to be unresponsive and then slam into gear.

It doesn't do this all the time, and the only other issue I've had with it in my ownership that might be relative is that it feels like it drops an inch or so when I go between gears, reverse to park, park to drive, reverse to drive.
Welcome to the forum looks like you are new. In regards to your first issue, Does it still do this after the transmission has warmed up? Only does it on cold days?

When you say it feels like it drops an inch....are you referring to the body of the car when you put it in gear? Like you go from neutral to drive and the car kind of squats once it engages?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the welcome, I've actually been here plenty but had ti make a new account for whatever reason.

The issue is only with cold starts, and I'm starting to think after more research it's an O2 or other engine/ throttle related issue. as I would describe it as bucking more than anything. But I'll have to pay close attention to the tach as it occurs.

As far as the squatting, it feels like the car goes down as it engages. Also makes a metallic ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from the middle rear of the car. This has been a thing since I bought it in '06 and didn't concern me as much as the recent bucking does. Especially since it's never gotten worse or been delayed. I wouldn't mind knowing what is causing it though.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

My car did something similar to this but never down shifting it was strictly when i was moving forward. I changed the plugs, 02's abd cleaned my maf so i couldnt say what exactly the fix was but it cleared up everything.

As for the squatting I have had cars that did this and yes it does seem odd but I couldnt really ever say it was something wrong. I think its just the drivetrain binding naturally with hitting the brakes that makes it do this. For example when I used to tow cars for a living if i hooked up to a car that was a stick shift and then left the ebrake on and moved the car forward (picture a repo truck scooping one up) the back end would squat because the tires aren't spinning freely but the car was in motion. The noise you are talking about is a very common thing for these cars. Some guys can do away with it by replacing u-joints others have replaced driveshafts to make it go away. From my understand ing its just a little slack in the driveline that causes this with the aluminum driveshaft, nothing to worry about.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

You could also check your torque arm and see if that helps you any

Quick Reply: 1998 Auto concerns