Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid to high powered Th400 users....hardware question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Mid to high powered Th400 users....hardware question

I've researched this more than once, and other than one thread on another forum, i don't really see much on the subject. The info I'm lookin for is the use of the roller clutch on the direct drum. What I'm specifically looking for is, are there any Th400 users around here making 800+ having success staying with the roller vs converting to the sprag type of drum?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

In something real light like under 2500#.........Maybe, If your lucky. And you still wouldn't want "shock" the Roller Clutch with firm 1-2 shifts.

Good complete 4L80E 34 element drums run around $200 Retail, I don't see a reason to run a TH400 roller clutch drum.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by clinebarger
In something real light like under 2500#.........Maybe, If your lucky. And you still wouldn't want "shock" the Roller Clutch with firm 1-2 shifts.

Good complete 4L80E 34 element drums run around $200 Retail, I don't see a reason to run a TH400 roller clutch drum.
Well, I may be an unintentional guinea pig. I stayed with the roller, will see how long it hangs out I guess.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with the roller clutch doesn't like shock. Where as the sprag has a few degrees of movement before engagement. The real trick is to get a center support that supports the direct drum, keeps it on center. good luck
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by john kilgore
The problem with the roller clutch doesn't like shock. Where as the sprag has a few degrees of movement before engagement. The real trick is to get a center support that supports the direct drum, keeps it on center. good luck
This is just ONE of the many reasons I'm anxious to get it to where the car will dead hook on wet grass, while leaving on the Transbrake. I know that spinning is especially brutal on that particular piece of the tranny (which is why I wait till I'm freeway speed before I flog the car). I just wish there was more comparison data on it. The one experience i seen with someone that was high powered and still using a roller clutch, was a guy making around 1,000rwhp and was somehow not having any issues.

Quick Reply: Mid to high powered Th400 users....hardware question