Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission woes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission woes...

Well today I left my place heading to Vancouver to help a friend unpack from a move. Nice day, decided to drive the Z.

About two years ago my stock tranny went ****! I was expecting that as you can't put a whole lot of horsepower and numerous 1/4 mile runs on a stock tranny and expect it to last forever.

So I bought a "stage 4" tranny built by Chuck at FLP. I did not actually buy it from FLP but from a guy who had bought it from FLP, put 300 miles on it and decided he wanted to go with a T56.

I have put about 3,000 miles on it over two Summers. It is a good strong shifting tranny. So back to today...

I am getting on the freeway normal on ramp driving, mind you I am actually real easy on my car I don't beat on or drive it hard except for at the track, so as I start to accelerate the whole tone of the car changes. I got the tunes cranked so I gotta turn down the tunes. Now I hear a serious grinding, metal on metal grating, marbles in a can sound..****...coming from under the car from the tranny. I guess a good description of the noise is it sounds like brake pad rivets on brake rotors when you are dumb enough to let your pads wear down that much.

The sound was worse and loudest, going up in tone, as I accelerated through first. It still shifted and pulled just fine and actually quieted down in second and third. When I would start to brake for a stop it would start up grinding down as I slowed.

I took it to a friends shop and put it on the rack. Put it in neutral and as he rotated the drivetrain by turning the back tires I listend to the tranny. Grinding noise is coming from the tailshaft! Any idea? Could it be the output shaft or what. This tranny is $2200.00 new cost me $1800.00 and should not be going **** with 3500 miles on it. Definatley not the bands or anything like that as I said it still pulls and shifts OK though I only drove it a short distance with it acting up. Long enough to get it to the shop and back home!

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken
Old 07-04-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the input shaft hub on the drum busted. The planet carriers break too but there would have probably been crunching and ratio loss. Good luck.