Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling a Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling a Cooler?

I am getting my PT4000 installed and i bought a B&M cooler, the one just above the 24GVW, i think the part number is 70266(or something). My question is since i dont have a gauge to monitor temps is there anythin i can do to ensure the the cooler stays cold, by cold dont mean slightly warm i mean cold. I know for chargers they have an after cooler that can hold ice and such, i would like to hear opinions on what people have done other than just let the air hit it.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats a big TC. the 24k is ok, but i have a 28k, and my trans still gets warm. theres no way its gonna stay COLD. one thing that really helps out alot is a fan switch. i would definately get one. i consider it just as important as a cooler.
but the trans temp guage is not hard at all to install. i can email you a write up if you want?

J
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cooler

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay
thats a big TC. the 24k is ok, but i have a 28k, and my trans still gets warm. theres no way its gonna stay COLD. one thing that really helps out alot is a fan switch. i would definately get one. i consider it just as important as a cooler.
but the trans temp guage is not hard at all to install. i can email you a write up if you want?

J
if you are not using your air plum your tranny oil through your condenser, and it will be cold when it leaves.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

make sure nothing is blocking the air from getting to it. I have a cooler, deep pan and a trans temp gauge and my tranny is still untouched.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay

J
i have the one bigger than the 24GVW, on the back of the box it just said it was for racing, it quite a big bigger than the 24GVW
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
make sure nothing is blocking the air from getting to it. I have a cooler, deep pan and a trans temp gauge and my tranny is still untouched.
I was thinking of installing a deeper pan but my car is lowered a little since i have the bilstein shocks, what kind of pan would you recomend. The car is NOT a daily driver but i do drive it on the street on weekends and sometimes at night so nothing to deep, i dont want ants being able to reach up and touch a deeper pan.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have good flow and a 160 T-Stat (and matching fan settings) that cooler is plenty and you are good to go. Are you doing unusual to generate heat?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Not doing anything unusual but i live in Texas and its summer, and if a do some high speed runs i dont have a gauge right now to monitor temps. i dont have a lower besides teh stock t-stat, but when at a stop both fans come on.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are using a stock T-stat, you might bypass the built-in tranny cooler becuase your temps are high. I would do a 160 T-stat if you are really concerned about cooling.