Sponsored by:

question about torque converters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about torque converters

Ok, I admit it. I am a noob here and am learning as i go, so be gentle

Can someone please explain what the torque converter does, what difference does a higher or lower stall number mean, what a higher stall converter will do to the streetability of a daily driver and anything else you can think that's important to know. Also what's the factory tc on a 2000 Z28?

Any help is appreciated
Old 07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

The factory stall converter is around 1600 rpm's. A stall converter simply slips your engine into a higher RPM. With my stock stall and street tires, I could hold my foot down on the brake and gas it to about 1450 rpm's before my tires would break loose. Now, with my Vigilante 3200 stall, my tires wont break loose until I gas it to about 2950 rpm's on my street tires. If I were to flash my converter ( launching at idle ) my converter would see around 3600 rpm's and launch my car hard. My Vig. 3200 is a great street/ strip converter. I drive my car daily and have no complaints. I would recommend this converter to anyone. Also, try to test drive someones car that has a higher stall converter. You will catch on alot easier and will begin to understand more about what it does. Hope this helps.
-Brent
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

everything he said plus i would like to add my vote in for the VIG
A TC really helps the "sleeper" appeal bcuz you can look every where on the car and not find anything until somone wants to run from a light...
Old 07-09-2004, 03:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Search

Higher stall: (stock on LS1 is ~1800) sort of like having a manual and slipping the clutch to let the engine reve higher before engaging, which happens fully at the stall speed. At light throttle, below the stall speed, it will accelerate slower for any given rpm than stock. However, if you hit the pedal down hard/far enough to surpass the stall speed it will really start to take off. When you start from a dead stop you will instantly be in the powerband with a higher stall converter. Also, from a roll you will no longer have any dead spots. STR is another important thing. The higher the STR (stock is ~1.6), the higher the torque multiplication is when you hit the stall speed. A good range for street driven car is a stall speed from 3200-4000 and an STR of 1.6-2.5. The highe the STR, typically, the less efficient a converter is at high RPM. All depending on your car, mods, needs, tires, etc etc. For a mild-moderate street strip car look into the TCI SSF3500, Vig3200 (stalls higher than that), Yank SY3600 (I think that's what it is, but the SY converter), and the Yank SS3600.

You will have to SEARCH. That is just the tip of the iceberg of what you will want to know to fully understand.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Launching!

So what are the real disadvantages to TC's ? Any further maintenance needed? What would average price be for 3000 range converter and install? Does this thing take away from driving below the new stall, say in rush hour traffic?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2004, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ask me, there really aren't any real disadvantages with a moderate stall. The driving below the stall speed does not bother me one bit, it's just a little bit looser and is easily controllable. The converter could cost anywhere from $480-$800, depending. It is also recommended that you get a shift kit (~$100 for transgo), transmission cooler (~$50), maybe a basic LS1 edit tune for shift points to make sure it works properly, and a temp gauge so you can keep an eye on it. Installation prices vary. It can get expensive when you pay someone to do it, several hundred dollars for the install. My SSF 3500, cooler, shift kit, gauge, and basic tune totalled up to about $850 before any labor for install.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Teching In

If you want an exact description of how and what a torque converter is check out this link.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm