Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all 4l60-E haters come share

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all 4l60-E haters come share

my car has 28K miles and it is the 4th time of rebuilding or replacing the damn tranny under warranty DAMN it is like replacing brake pads i don't get it ...my car is stock (to keep the warranty fixing the damn tranny) and i am using a tranny cooler and i drive hard some times not all the time and i never manual shift it...WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? gm shouldn't use this peace of **** on any thing but V6 cars or less..... i am about to start modding the car soon but i don't want to re build the tranny on every fuel tank...(rant off) what to do? thanks alot and sorry for the long post
Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've had it replaced with a NEW tranny (not rebuilt) and it still goes out?
I wonder if your fluid flow is being restricted in any way (bad tranny cooler or crimped line?)
Have you monitored the tranny temps when driving hard? Was the converter re-used without flushing?
And of course you've been careful to maintain proper fluid level.
Stock MAF sensor, right?

These trannys are usually pretty strong for street cars. 400 RWHP doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them even bone stock.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah, that doesn't seem right, my tranny is still untouched and as you can see from my sig, my car is not any where near stock. The car is 3 years old with much track abuse and its my daily driver.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll rant about 4L60E's in full size trucks not being capable. I fell to the same fate of getting a dealer rebuilt, not replaced transmission going out after a few thousand miles

Fbody however, I have abused my transmission pretty hard and its been 100% dependable. b&m 24k cooler is the only mod done to it. However I change the fluid every 10k. so far so good. I know people with close to over 400rwhp on bone stock transmissions that are holding up quite nicely
Old 07-14-2004, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I am on about to go for trans #5. I am going to rebuild it myself because Art Carr sure cant get it right.

And my car is a stock LT1 with header and cold air.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default capacity

Originally Posted by q8hp
my car has 28K miles and it is the 4th time of rebuilding or replacing the damn tranny under warranty DAMN it is like replacing brake pads i don't get it ...my car is stock (to keep the warranty fixing the damn tranny) and i am using a tranny cooler and i drive hard some times not all the time and i never manual shift it...WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? gm shouldn't use this peace of **** on any thing but V6 cars or less..... i am about to start modding the car soon but i don't want to re build the tranny on every fuel tank...(rant off) what to do? thanks alot and sorry for the long post
your 700 trans was made for a 173 cubic inch S10, your experiance is not un heard of, do not remove torque man.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

700R4's and 4L60E's only come out as good as the guy who built them. The 2-3 upshift and 3-2 downshift will not work right unless tollerances are absolutely perfectly in spec. Reverse can become a problem too. Rebuild time could be easily cut in half by cutting these corners.

If you don't see a micrometer, a dial indicator, a set of feeler gauges, and a whole heap of other odd-looking tools on your builder's bench, find another builder.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Colonel
You've had it replaced with a NEW tranny (not rebuilt) and it still goes out?
I wonder if your fluid flow is being restricted in any way (bad tranny cooler or crimped line?)
Have you monitored the tranny temps when driving hard? Was the converter re-used without flushing?
And of course you've been careful to maintain proper fluid level.
Stock MAF sensor, right?

These trannys are usually pretty strong for street cars. 400 RWHP doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them even bone stock.
it was rebuilt 3 times and replaced once with new converter and every thing..
the tranny temps goes a bit high 230 and the fluid is level is perfect (checked weekly) with stock MAF sensor
all the work done by good dealer
Old 07-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Launching!

What exactly is going out on these units??? If its the same thing over and over, the builder needs to stop treating the symptoms and find the cause.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Launching!

My 98 tranny crapped out after 39000 miles, no track use, no mods, no nothing. Previous owner must have done some "dukes of hazzard" crap or something. Anyways, hopefully my new TrippTranny will do much better!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the tranny temps goes a bit high 230"

That's too hot. I think I'd replace that tranny cooler and I'd be sure to use ample size hose. Keep those temps below 200 and I bet you'll fair better next time.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
"the tranny temps goes a bit high 230"

That's too hot. I think I'd replace that tranny cooler and I'd be sure to use ample size hose. Keep those temps below 200 and I bet you'll fair better next time.
My trans temps are well below 200 but I never thought about hose size. Is the hose supplied by B&M adequate enough? I definately don't want to have any pressure loss concerns.

Quick Reply: all 4l60-E haters come share