Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 builders and those that have had their A4 built

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 builders and those that have had their A4 built

I see alot of people getting built transmissions and then they fail and I have often wondered if any one discussed the trans table setting in the PCM once the new trans was installed.

I know from when I had an A4 I spent more time on those tables than the spark and fuel to get it to shift the way I wanted it to and when I wanted it to. With that came alot of changes in the tables and if those tables are never discussed with the builder how is the trans supposed to live? B/c my thoughts are that I probably was tuning a worn out trans and therefore those same settings should not be used on even a stock rebuild.

What are others thoughts on this? Does this conversation happen at the consumer/builder level?

What are the recommendations? B/c line pressure is critical and that is one of the major things that the PCM tries to control. I figure shift points are left up to the combo but what about other aspects?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

good thread...i too think tuning is a major thing especially with an A4 car. My stock trans has lastest 3 years of abuse, all on the track and still doing good. I'm sure though with the added power of the H/C though, it will eventually go, but mine has lasted longer than many others with few mods. I have a great tuner who knows his stuff. but if something does happen to my stocker I will just have it rebuilt and after reading your post i will talk to my tuner about it too.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I have an Art Carr (#3 about to be #4). I have asked them what should I change in the trans tables and they told me I should find somebody who knew about that kind of stuff. They told me there were too many variables for them to know about.

I would love to know what to change on my 94 Z28 to make the trans live, because taking it our is a bitch. But I can do it in about an hour now.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most "built" transmissions have vacuum modulated line pressure, which removes the PCMs control anyway, so the settings in the PCM for that do nothing. Changing the settings in the PCM are not necessarily going to make or break the life of the trans, as long as the line pressure isnt too high.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ru2slo_99
I have an Art Carr ...I have asked them what should I change in the trans tables and they told me I should find somebody who knew about that kind of stuff. They told me there were too many variables for them to know about.
To me that is just wrong, they should know the tables and know how they make the trans live/die. Or build the trans with the assumption that the trans tables are stock and tell the consumer to use stock trans tables.

I hope this discussion continues and some A4 builders will jump in with their thoughts and suggestions.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Most "built" transmissions have vacuum modulated line pressure, which removes the PCMs control anyway, so the settings in the PCM for that do nothing. Changing the settings in the PCM are not necessarily going to make or break the life of the trans, as long as the line pressure isnt too high.
So the Vacuum Mod line takes the line pressure 'tuning' out of the PCM control? Anyone want to test that theory? Not doubting but want to keep the discussion going...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Launching!

When you install a Vacuum Modulator, you eliminate the PCM's control of the Pressure Control Solenoid 100%. To install the modulator, you replace the solenoid with the modulator and install a resistor into the connector. Your pressure is based SOLEY on manifold vacuum.

My transmissions already have TransGo kits installed and I reccomend to customers who buy my transmission or a TransGo kit to go back to stock pressure settings in the PCM because the TransGo kit will raise them through valvebody tuning.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
... I reccomend to customers who buy...a TransGo kit to go back to stock pressure settings in the PCM because the TransGo kit will raise them through valvebody tuning.
From watching the board for several years, I'm always amazed how many people fail to follow this advice.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
When you install a Vacuum Modulator, you eliminate the PCM's control of the Pressure Control Solenoid 100%. To install the modulator, you replace the solenoid with the modulator and install a resistor into the connector. Your pressure is based SOLEY on manifold vacuum.

My transmissions already have TransGo kits installed and I reccomend to customers who buy my transmission or a TransGo kit to go back to stock pressure settings in the PCM because the TransGo kit will raise them through valvebody tuning.
Yup...I've personally seen problems by having the line pressure raised through the PCM and then using a Trans Go...It made the transgo boom, LOL
Old 07-17-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just curious what would the stock line pressure be set at?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

So will the vacuum modulator do any thing with the shift points?

The main problem I had when I called Art Carr was right at 45mph when I gave my car more gas to accelerate my car would shudder and the trans felt like it was slipping. Art Carr told me that was the clutches in the converter being locked and unlocked rapidly. Then he told me it could be fixed with computer programming but he could not tell me how to do it. I wish there was somebody there that knew something about the computer programming.

I dont think they set up there trans for the stock tables, either. When I got my first Ardvark(thats what my friend calls the Art Carr) it did not shift right. Again they told me they dont know how to change the shift points through the computer.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

the vacuum modulator controls line pressure, not the shift points.

the shudder is caused by either 1) incorrect line pressure or 2) use of a clutch material that is not compatible with our trannies.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any more good info to share?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Banned

Default here we go

Lets start by saying .....the pcm/line pressure/solenoids in these cars are **** poor at best. There are 8-11 external electronic controllers(to the transmission) that have an effect on line pressure (or the lack thereof).ALL repeat ALL of these controllers must be performing flawlessly, perfectly,without haste, to get proper line rise. How many times have we seen guys or gals (I don't wanna leave the women out) say my stock trans is better than my built trans ever was???? Thats because the orginal cause of failure is still in the car......and it just ruined your built transmission!!!!!
We do a line rise check on these cars and check out 8-11 controllers ,with one simple test....9 out of ten cars coming to us fail the line rise test. Hell I've had guys with years in the transmission business not reconise proper( or should I say inproper) line rise. I can spend the next six hours checking each controller or I can install a vacume modulator and be done with it.
Now I haven't even mentioned tuners,shift kits, solenoid screens, and a whole host of other ideas that seem to loom over these boards. To think that a transgo shift kit that is installed properly into a car would cause it's demise is simply not true, there are other problems lurking.
I'm not trying to start anything, nor am I signaling out anyone, this is an attempt to lay out my expirance with reguards to these cars. These cars do not have good reliable line rise period. The best solution to the problem (line rise) seems to be vacume modulation. I've seen nothing on the market to compare it too.Till something better comes along thats what we are doing! I hope this helps.....Dave
Old 07-19-2004, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there some place that shows how to install the vacuum modulator and any acssociated equipment?

Or, can you explain it?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

Dave get off of here and finish my transmission please
Jerry

Dave is building me a tranny now with vacuum mod kit. I do believe my last one failed due to low line pressure as 1-2 was firm but the 2-3 shift couldn't be felt...just heard