Sponsored by:

Help with High-Mileage Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with High-Mileage Tranny

Hi everyone:
I'm pretty much sold on getting a TCI SSF3500 very soon, but before I do, I had some concerns...
I just picked up my '00 SS (2nd LS1) for a good deal, only because the car had 90K miles...Freeway miles though so it's not too bad. I do not know if the fluid has been changed regularly or not, but the tranny shifts great. My question is, should I be concerned with the high-mileage on the tranny and putting in a TC (which would mean that the fluid thats been sitting in there for GOD knows how long would have to come out and new, thicker fluid going in)? Is there anything I should look for/replace prior to the install? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!
BTW- I the car is stock for now with the exception of tuning by PCM for less. I currently have adjustments to shift points/firmness. Once I get the TC, should I return the line pressure to stock and go with a TransGo? Or should I just stick with the tuning I have...
Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Ttt???
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

i would say get the trans serviced before you do anything, but thats JMO. when i bought my old 93 it had a lot of miles on it too, and the first things i did was a trans service and tune up.
Also, i would stay away from a shift kit it is not needed.

Anyone else have anything to add?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your advice!
So should I just do a fluid/filter change when I get the TC in, or do you mean having the fluid completely flushed going thru that machine ?