Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had car tuned now trans seems gone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had car tuned now trans seems gone!

Had car tuned on Fri and it turned out great the car picked up 35 rwhp and around 90 fpt. She ran great all day. I could not belive the differance. Trans shifted real well very crisp. (the morning after) Got up drove it to the store damn this thing seems to be shifting soft? It cant be it has not been 3k since strong parts rebuild. I call tuner he says pull batt cable to see if its in the computer If it shifts better that could be it so I do. now when it gets to 20mph it just slips out no move no more! turn the car of and back on it will move again but at 20mph the same thing happens. now to try resetting pcm damn same thing. tuner said it could be solnoid for it to have been so sudden. any ideas before I call my tranny man? 2 steps foward 2 steps back I am getting so tired of this ****! any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your 3-4 clutches have failed. COMMON.

That clutch pack only has to overheat once enough to cause very slight warpage of the steels in it to cause what you've got. There may be a lot of clutch material left but the warpage created high spots that minimizes clutch-to-steel contact and concentrates heat to very small areas. This burns the remaining clutch material beyond usefulness. It snowballs fast, unfortunately you needed a rebuild the moment the first slip happened.

If you decide to rebuild the 60 use Raybestos Z-Pak clutches for the 3-4 set. These have a unique single-sided design that allows for better heat disipation for a higher resistance to warping.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by James B.
If you decide to rebuild the 60 use Raybestos Z-Pak clutches for the 3-4 set. These have a unique single-sided design that allows for better heat disipation for a higher resistance to warping.
The design of the apply plate and top friction also helps to alleviate warpage (or coning). Another vote for the Z-Pak, I use them in all of my transmissions.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Teching In

damn car allready had the alto reds in it!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sshawk1
damn car allready had the Raybestos blues in it!
The Z-Pak is the first real successful approach to single-sided clutches. They idea is not new but nobody could make it work until now. Raybestos introduced the Blue Plate Specials a long time ago, seems like they've been around forever. I had the Blues in my 4L60-E too. They survived for 26,000 miles under constant abuse in a nearly 6000 pound truck. The stock clutches would not have stood a chance. If the Z-Pak would have been available when I built that trans I would have used them and probably gotten another 10-20K out of it. These are only currently available for the 700R4 and the 4L60/65E. (I think they picked this application to develop the technology with because the need is so present!)

Here's some more info on the Z-Pak.
http://www.raybestospowertrain.com/p...ures_zpak.html