Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Tahoe 4L60E Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Tahoe 4L60E Questions

Some questions here folks.....but first some background on the vehicle and its use.

2001 Tahoe with a 5.3L and a 4L60E. Currently vehicle has just over 45,000 on the clock. It tows a trailer (camper trailer) at least once per month. The trailer weighs ~6,500lbs loaded. Terrain varies from the mountains of Georgia to the flats of Southern Florida (I live in Atlanta). The rest of the time it is my wife's grocery getter and kid hauler. Now for the questions:

1. Because of the trailer I want to install Red Line ATF but I heard that it might cause the trans to slip. Is this true?? Everything I have read about RL is that it is great stuff. I currently run RL in the engine and rear.

2. Regardless of the answer to question #1 I need a good trans shop in the Atlanta area. I would like the fluid and filter changed. I don't think a Mr. Transmission or an Aamco will do the job for me. I would like to add a Corvette servo and possibly a TransGo shift kit, again to help handle the trailer. I have also thought about adding a spin on filter - like the one I say in the recent Jegs catalog - so the fluid would be filtered better and be easier to change. I would also like to have the drain plug made so that I could remove it. That sucker must be welded on from the inside. I was thinking along the lines of a speed shop type operation but I don't know of anyone like that in the Atlanta metro area.

Any input would be great. TIA for the input!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you change to the Red Line type of fluid, you should be fine. Add an external transmission cooler, this is a must. Call Trans-Go at 626 4437456 & ask them for someone in your area that comes recommended to do this. you might try Bernard Tripp (Tripp transmissions), if he is close to you. A spin on filter, pan drain, and a Corvette servo are good ideas.