Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad converter or something else??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad converter or something else??

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have an A4 with a Vig.3200. I was having problems with my old tranny so I just did a swap and put in another stock 4l60e that I got from a 01 SS. Well it doesnt seem to be slipping anymore like my other one BUT.....When I gun it when it reaches close to redline about 5900-6000 RPM'S it all of a sudden shoots up about 400-500RPM's out of the blue and just stays there not hitting the REV or anything but just there then it shifts. If I try to shift manually at WOT it goes straight to the REV..It also feels really sluggish of a roll. It kinda feels like the converter has to catch up to the tranny. Does this sound like a converter problem or a tranny problem. I think personally its the converter but I just need some of you guys opinions on what it might be or what I can do to get rid of it. Under normal driving the converter feels really really loose which it didnt before
Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not an expert but I have a Vig 2800 TC. When my A4 shifts at partial throttle, I still get a 200-300 RPM climb due to torque management settings (still turned on in the PCM). My understanding is that this is normal.

At WOT, I'd think it would climb a bit higher, around 400 RPM, like what you're experiencing.

Some people I know adjust their redline higher to compensate for this "lag" so that the rev limiter doesn't retard fuel and affect their HP.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

If I go it tuned by TSP would they have taken out the torque managment? Cause it never did it before my tranny swap. But I put a new tranny & retunned it cause i swapped cams also. I went from a Thunder cam to a TSP cam.