Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picked car up today, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked car up today, WOW!

I recently bought a built 4l60e from TeamTripp Transmission, along with a 3000 stall and cooler. I picked the car up today and what a difference! It felt loose as hell in the beginning, pulling out of the lot, but when I got up to the highway it came alive. The shifts at 1/2 throttle stalled to about 3200, and the tach never budged from about 10-50mph, just stayed right at 3000-3200 the whole way. When I got back to work, I tromped on it a little bit and the rear end came loose when it downshifted and sideways we went! This converter and good "built-up" tranny combo is incredible, I've never had one before and I must say it is a big difference in the car. It drives fairly well around town, just louder(no complaint), and a lot quicker. It requires a bit more pedal to attain the same speed, but you get to that point much faster. I worry about the slipping around town, but I figure that is why I got the cooler. The tranny itself is really pretty nice too, good firm shifts(much better than stock) with a noticeable solid feel. And the fact that it was much cheaper than a rebuild was a plus. Another plus was dealing with someone like Bernard who knew what I wanted and how to give it to me. He also knows more about automatic trannys than anyone else I could hope to consult.

The good thing is Tripp warrants both the tranny and converter totally for 1yr., unlimited miles. If you are in need of a good tranny, I can highly recommend Bernard Tripp and company, if anyone needs info, let me know.

-William

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 08-02-2004 at 09:15 PM. Reason: delete pricing (non-sponsor)
Old 07-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wbw2
I recently bought a built 4l60e from Tripp Transmission, along with a 3000 stall and cooler. I picked the car up today and what a difference! It felt loose as hell in the beginning, pulling out of the lot, but when I got up to the highway it came alive. The shifts at 1/2 throttle stalled to about 3200, and the tranny never budged from about 10-50mph, just stayed right at 3000-3200 the whole way. When I got back to work, I tromped on it a little bit and the rear end came loose when it downshifted and sideways we went! This converter is incredible, I've never had one before and I must say it is a big difference in the car. It drives fairly well around town, just louder(no complaint), and a lot quicker. I worry about the slipping around town, but I figure that is why I got the cooler. The tranny itself is pretty nice too, good firm shifts(much better than stock) with a noticeable solid feel. And the fact that it was much cheaper than a rebuild was a plus.

The good thing is Tripp warrants both the tranny and converter totally for 1yr., unlimited miles. If you are in need of a good tranny, I can highly recommend Bernard Tripp and company, if anyone needs info, let me know.

-William
Thanks for the info I have a TCI 3500 and TransGo kit sitting down stairs still in their boxes. They are just waiting to be installed. However, I might wait till next spring (car is winter-stored) to do it. I already have the B&M cooler 24000 installed. The shop that will be doing the work is booked until the end of August.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 08-02-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: delete pricing (non-sponsor)
Old 07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Don't worry about the higher stall around town. You got that extra cooler, and high end converters like your Edge run very efficient. I let Andre at Edge choose your stall speed and STR and it looks like he was right on the money (as usual).
I'm glad you like it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many many miles.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Don't worry about the higher stall around town. You got that extra cooler, and high end converters like your Edge run very efficient. I let Andre at Edge choose your stall speed and STR and it looks like he was right on the money (as usual).
I'm glad you like it and I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many many miles.
I'm getting a little more use to it now, Mr.Tripp said to take it easy on the new stuff for the first couple of drives, but then he said "drive it like you stole it", so I will post again in a day or so with some full throttle results to let you know how it does!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

I thought there was a 500 mile break-in period for the tranny and lock up clutch in the converter? Oh well. Welcome to the club.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I thought there was a 500 mile break-in period for the tranny and lock up clutch in the converter? Oh well. Welcome to the club.
Nope. No real break in period. I do require that you run it up through the gears a few times real easy to get the air out from behind the pistons, but a quick drive around the block will take care of that. After that is up to you.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Bad Blu Formula]I thought there was a 500 mile break-in period for the tranny and lock up clutch in the converter?

lord I hope not, it would take me until next spring to rack up 500 miles!

I've put about 30 or so on it since I picked it up, I've been doing a lot of work on the mustang so I haven't had time to roll..

It runs better every time, plus I get used to it more everyday. I can't wait to put the spray to it.