Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please, WHINE coming from my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help please, WHINE coming from my tranny

Ok, I pulled the pan off about a week ago and changed the filter. When I put the pan back on I put 6.5 quarts of fluid back in. Was that too much? Now my tranny has a faint whine while I am driving it. I am going to drain some of the fluid tomorrow. Is my tranny permenantly(sp) screwed up? Will that whine still be there when I drain some of the fluid? Please help.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ATF level with the engine running and up to operating teperature on a flat surface.
Did you change the seal? If so, how? With some methods of extracting the seal it's easy to gall the bore which could cause air to get in. Air will make it whine.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

That's the thing, There is tranny fluid that goes a couple inches past the notch, but it is very, very thin which would make me think that that just came off the sides of the tube. The fluid is thicker at the bottom where the hatch marks are. If I go by the thicker fluid, it almost looks like there is not enough fluid in the tranny. If I go by where the dipstick is wet, then I have way too much fluid in the tranny. I did not change the seal. Would that be causing my problem? What do I do?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, feeling creative? Consider this:

Get yourself about 8 feet of icemaker tubing. It's about 1/4" and made of a clear translucent stiff plastic.

The end of the dipstick bottoms out against a little "shelf" in there when you put it in. This is so dipstick length doesn't have to be critical. Therefore, the distance from the top "HOT" mark on the dipstick to the end of the dipstick can be transfered to the end of the icemaker tubing. Do so.

Find something to plug the end of the icemaker tubing. You can use RTV, just let it dry. This plug should not extend into the tube more than 1/2" below the "full" mark.

Using a razor, slice crossways half-way into the tube at the "full" mark. As you are doing this angle the blade 45 degrees upward. Come in at 90 degrees from the first cut and make another cut so they meet halfway through the diameter of the tube.

Use this tube to drain the fluid. It will stop drawing fluid at the "full" mark and start sucking air. You'll need some sort of fluid trap and a vacuum source to make it work.

I made something similar for getting the oil level in the Whipple perfect. Never tried it with a trans before but should work.

Here's a picture, just made this up, notice the notch.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

WELL?!

Did that work?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't tried that yet. How would I go about getting the old seal out without tearing up that bore?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blu98ta
I haven't tried that yet. How would I go about getting the old seal out without tearing up that bore?
About the only way to get the seal out is to bend in one side of it to give you a place to use longnose pliers to get a grip. Bend one of the sides in on itself to free it up, then pull. It will look like this when you're done mangling it:
Old 08-02-2004, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

I'm tired of messing with this. I'm just gonna take it in. So if the bad seal is what is causing the whine, then replacing it will cause the whine to go away, right?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blu98ta
I'm tired of messing with this. I'm just gonna take it in. So if the bad seal is what is causing the whine, then replacing it will cause the whine to go away, right?
Yup.

Are you sure you don't want to give it another shot? ATF is, afterall, so delicious.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

Just to let anybody know, if they care, it was the axle bearing in the rear end that were making the noise. Got it fixed and no more whine. Thanks for all the help anyways.