Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Serious Help Needed!!!!***Transmission Not Engaging gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ***Serious Help Needed!!!!***Transmission Not Engaging gears

Ok this is the deal, I was cruising around all night and got stuck in some slow traffic and saw an opening to pass a car and took it. I didnt gun it just 3/4 throttle and as I got along side the car mine just stopped moving and the RPM's jumped up like I was reving in Nuetral.
So I pulled onto a side street and put it in every gear and nothing, no reverse, 1, 2, D or OD. I had my friend come get me and had him put it into drive and give it some gas, the driveshaft is not spinning, theres no leaks no noises or anything. This came out of nowhere!
I dont know if its a U joint, or a band. If it was the drive band would I still have reverse? I need all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-07-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any crunchy sounds at the time?

Do you have an aftermarket deep pan with an unextended filter neck? (filter fell out?)

What about simple stuff - converter bolts fell out?

The input drum could have broken. That's not uncommon but I would think you could hear it.

I've heard of output shafts breaking, but only really on 4x4's.

Weird. Usually total failure is associated with some sort of symphony of mechanical carnage.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the reply! I dont post here much and I forgot to list my mods:
Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall
No sounds that I could here. Nothing when shifting, fluid doenst smell burnt. Could it be the converter, I was getting vibrations before but I just chalked it up to the poly tranny mount. No deep pan, and Im not sure about any of the other stuff. This just happened and I have no place or nohow to try and fix my tranny.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-08-2004, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ******
Ok this is the deal, I was cruising around all night and got stuck in some slow traffic and saw an opening to pass a car and took it. I didnt gun it just 3/4 throttle and as I got along side the car mine just stopped moving and the RPM's jumped up like I was reving in Nuetral.
So I pulled onto a side street and put it in every gear and nothing, no reverse, 1, 2, D or OD. I had my friend come get me and had him put it into drive and give it some gas, the driveshaft is not spinning, theres no leaks no noises or anything. This came out of nowhere!
I dont know if its a U joint, or a band. If it was the drive band would I still have reverse? I need all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Shane
This happened to me once. Turned out to be toasted 3/4 clutches. All gears were gone, with the exception of a very sloppy, slipping 2nd gear.
When the tranny fluid was let out, though, you could smell the foul odor several feet away! Good luck!