Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the Road Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool On the Road Again

Well, after almost a year, I finally got my SS up and running again. Recap: I Broke my 4L60E last December on the street. I didn't know what broke, until it got warm enough to remove the trans. I was going to take it to someone, but after enough people told me I couldn't do it, I decided to do it myself!! First sign of bad things to come was the chunks of broken bits at the bottom of the pan. After I bought about $300-$400.00 of special tools, and I got down to the reaction planetary, I found the problem. The reaction planetary, sun gear, and ring gear were all busted up, missing some teeth!! My car is not fast enough to be breaking stuff like this, so I tried to determine a reason for this untimely death, (57,702 miles). My low/reverse roller clutch, (which sits right on top of the reaction planetary) would lock up intermittantly when the inner race was turned clockwise!!! This is a one way roller clutch that is only supposed to lock up when turned counter clockwise!! This put stress on the reaction planetary, reaction sun gear, and reaction ring gear. Something had to either turn or break and it decided to kill its self. I did a lot of parts hunting and used a couple of sources for there prices and knowledge. Now is when I make the haters mad. I totaled the parts used to rebuild the trans, including clutches, (which, btw, looked almost brand new!! I've never had a clutch related problem with this trans, because I've done everything people have said doesn't work. HPP at 100%, Mobil One SYNTHETIC trans fluid, Derale tubulator trans pan, TWO, (2) trans coolers). Total parts: Less than $430.00!!!!!!!!! I have found out while researching, it is common practice to buy hard parts used. There is quite a price difference in used vs new hard parts. I got a used Genuine GM 5 pinion reaction planetary, (that came with ring gear and ring gear support) A new beast sun shell, a new Borg Warner banner rebuild kit, a new Extreme HD/Road race 7 clutch 3/4 clutch kit, used sun gear with the wide Sonnax bushing, new aluminum 3/4 accumulator piston, new perf accumulator springs, (my 3/4 acc. was missing the spring , someones been here before!!!!), 4L65E type low/reverse roller clutch, 4L65E type 29 element sprag, a used, loaded, reverse input drum with three Rabestos clutches with drum bleed orifice, and a Borg Warner HD Band. Trans works better than it did before all the problems!!! The 3-2 downshift nolonger has that "spool up" delay, just instant 2nd gear!! Park to reverse, gives you INSTANT reverse, no more reverse lag. The upshifts are firmer than before, no bang shifting, just a nice, firm "push" feeling. Got a little ove 300 miles on trans, and I love it!!! As far as difficulty rebuilding; it was.......... easy?! It was not as hard as people say it is. You must buy some of the special tools, or it will be very difficult. You must have lots of patience; I've got about 30 hours in this trans. You must check your work to make sure you got everything right the first time. You must give the trans 110% of your time while you are woking on it!!!!