Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Question??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Question??

Im looking into getting a T-rex cam and its states that you need a 4000+ converter..I called a guy to get some prices and he basically told me that i was crazy since im a daily driver. He said it would blow my transmission. . Is this true? anyone got a 4000+ converter and have a stock tranny?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-WrEcKzSiLv-RBiRdY
Im looking into getting a T-rex cam and its states that you need a 4000+ converter..I called a guy to get some prices and he basically told me that i was crazy since im a daily driver. He said it would blow my transmission. . Is this true? anyone got a 4000+ converter and have a stock tranny?
Vig 3800 in mine for a year now.......Love it! It just takes some getting used to. Just put you car in D unless you are going faster than 55. It will lock up the converter faster and make it more street friendly. Temp gauge is a good idea(almost a must)And make sure you get a trans cooler. Mine was running at 210 in the city and now with my B&M in dosnt get above 180.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Teching In

I have a yank 4000 in one of my cars and I drive it evry day
Old 08-19-2004, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Need2gofaster
Vig 3800 in mine for a year now.......Love it! It just takes some getting used to. Just put you car in D unless you are going faster than 55. It will lock up the converter faster and make it more street friendly. Temp gauge is a good idea(almost a must)And make sure you get a trans cooler. Mine was running at 210 in the city and now with my B&M in dosnt get above 180.
When you say D you mean overdrive right because i know theres alittle diff betw t/a and camaro. Also if im going over 55..then what?? And what do you mean by temp gauge..by a new gauge or what?? sorry im a newbie with some of this stuff
Old 08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

ttt....
Old 08-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He means a tranny temp guage if I had to guess.
You can run a 4000 stall in a A4 and you will have a chance of your tranny breaking.
The 4L60E is about the biggest POS in the GM plant, goes right along with the 10 bolt and the power window motor's.
Any converter can cause tranny failure, its all a matter of luck. Make sure you add a HUGE tranny cooler to be safe.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
He means a tranny temp guage if I had to guess.
You can run a 4000 stall in a A4 and you will have a chance of your tranny breaking.
The 4L60E is about the biggest POS in the GM plant, goes right along with the 10 bolt and the power window motor's.
Any converter can cause tranny failure, its all a matter of luck. Make sure you add a HUGE tranny cooler to be safe.
What i meant was keep your car in Drive not Over drive utill you reach 55. You conveter will lock up at a lower speed in Drive. Yes you will need a trans temp gauge which is a very easy install. There is a bolt you can take out on the drivers side that will bolt right in with the autometer trans temp gauge.