Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Automatic Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default 4L80E - 2x4 & 4x4 swap

I have a 1999 Vortec 7.4L with HD 4L80E tranny, 2x4 from a motorhome.

I am converting to 4x4 use. I need to swap the tailshaft and tailhousing for a 4x4 tailshaft and housing!

Can anyone help locate the parts? Hopefully a trade! I need a good deal. I have already spoken to Advanced Adapters. They said there are a few shaft lengths and they only support 2 of them. They said they probably don't have the parts for me so, I would need to swap tailshafts.

jeepnaround@yahoo.com
Utah

jeepnaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to James B.

You only need to change the output shaft. Unfortunately to get to it you have to tear down the entire transmission. Might as well replace the consumables inside.

The 4x4 Output Shaft Assembly is part # 24204291 and can be had brand new for about $125.

If this trans is from a Motorhome, it may very well be the HD version. The HD version of the 4L80-E is identifyable internally by straight-cut gears in both rear planetary sets and externally by a 2WD tailshaft housing that has a flange on the output side with a ball-bearing (instead of bushing) for the yoke.

If you have the HD version be glad, they're hard to find and the straight-cut gears reduce wear on the thrust washers at only the expense of a little gear whine. Better power-handling and longevity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
James B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, 2wd, 2x4, 4l80, 4l80e, 4x4, change, conversion, convert, output, shaft, shafts, swap, tailshaft, transmission