Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good idea to dyno before chosing stall and gears?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good idea to dyno before chosing stall and gears?

As we all know, every engine is a little different. I'm wondering if waiting to actually dyno my combination and getting it tuned properly is justified before deciding what gears and stall to go with. Some specifics on my combo are as follows. 2000 Camaro SS A4. Absolute Speed stage 2 6-liter heads, custom Thunder Racing T-Rex cam ground on a 114 lsa for use with a blower down the road as funds permit, LS6 intake, 85mm MAS, Kook's 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" longtubes, custom true dual 3" exhaust dumping right in front of the rearend. Currently the car is stock with a Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gears and PY3400 converter. This converter/gear combo works wonderfully on the stock motor. I was thinking about keeping the current converter and switching to 3.73 or even 4.11 gears as this combo is going to need to rev to make power. Others have said I need at least a 4000 converter but stay away from 4.11 gears and go with 3.73 gears instead. I'm thinking I need to see what my dno pull looks like to best determine what gears/converter to go with but my combo may have been tried literally hundreds of times so.............any opinions on what I should do? And yes, I've used the search feature and read every post related to 4.10 gears and an automatic transmissions I found. Thanks for any help with my car.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen any NA LS1 combo that runs better with a converter with a true stall of less than 4000. If you are going FI, that is a different animal, but I question the use of a TREX with a blower, so I would build for today.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Old Drag Racer

Well, it's not a true T-Rex cam but one with the same specs ground on a 114lsa. The main reason I was hoping to get away with the converter I have now is that it'll take at least 6 months and probably closer to a year to send it back to Yank to get it restalled. That from reading horror stories about them on this and other message boards. Because of this, I was hoping to compensate with gears. I know I'll probably have to drop back in the gear once I get the blower on. I was just looking at a dyno graph of the T-Rex cam on Thunder Racing's site and it peaks around 6500-6600 rpm. I'm assuming my combo will be similar but I don't know how much widening the lsa to 114 will change the power curve. I guess I need to go ahead and get in touch with Yank to get the ball rolling.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
Well, it's not a true T-Rex cam but one with the same specs ground on a 114lsa. The main reason I was hoping to get away with the converter I have now is that it'll take at least 6 months and probably closer to a year to send it back to Yank to get it restalled. That from reading horror stories about them on this and other message boards. Because of this, I was hoping to compensate with gears. I know I'll probably have to drop back in the gear once I get the blower on. I was just looking at a dyno graph of the T-Rex cam on Thunder Racing's site and it peaks around 6500-6600 rpm. I'm assuming my combo will be similar but I don't know how much widening the lsa to 114 will change the power curve. I guess I need to go ahead and get in touch with Yank to get the ball rolling.
Yeah, If you want a yank converter within the next couple of years, You need to call them right now. Today.

Search this Thread