Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daily driver question (GTP A4)

Old 08-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default daily driver question (GTP A4)

Our GTP won't shift out of park. I'm pretty sure the shifter and brake pedal switches are ok. I can hear the relay in the dash working so that's what makes me think those 2 switches are ok. I popped the tab off and tried the lock bypass and that didn't work. Any idea's where to look next? I'm having it towed home and took the day off tomorrow to tear into it and see if I can get it fixed because a tranny shop will rape me I'm sure and I'm really hoping it's something I can do myself. As long as it's something on the outside of the tranny I'm sure I can get it. The shifter really feels to me like it's not unlocking but like I said from what I can tell the switches seem to be working. If I don't hit the brake pedal the relay doesn't click so that tells me the brake switch is working and when I hit the button the relay clicks so that tells me the switch on the shifter is working. Other than those 2 I'm not sure what to look at next. Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

This may sound silly, but is the shifter raised at all? I had the same problem with my gtp and the shifter was getting stuck because the **** was raised up about a 1/2 inch. I had to hit it a little to get it back down, and it went right outta park. Just a possibility.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a shot. I'm going up to have it towed home which is ~50 miles at $2 a mile after the first 3. I'm thinking we shoulda got the AAA plus package. So that means with AAA we'll be saving a whopping $6. If they don't let me upgrade to plus and tow it home free I'm dropping AAA. I'll definately try your idea though. That's why I posted here, just to get some ideas of where to start looking next. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by darknight
This may sound silly, but is the shifter raised at all? I had the same problem with my gtp and the shifter was getting stuck because the **** was raised up about a 1/2 inch. I had to hit it a little to get it back down, and it went right outta park. Just a possibility.
Thanks a ton, that was exactly what the problem was. I popped the top of the shifter and heard it click and everything worked fine after that. If you're ever out near the Columbus area give me a shout because I owe you many beers.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 AM
On The Tree

Sweet! Does this mean you did not get it towed? I was hoping you saw my post before they robbed ya for the tow! Glad I could help.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Right, no tow. I had decided not to have it towed anyhow. I was gonna rent a tow dolly from U-Haul and just tow it home myself with my truck. Thanks again. Saved me a bunch of money and headache.

Search this Thread