Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to soften 4L60E 1-2 shift - has shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to soften 4L60E 1-2 shift - has shift kit

I got this truck with a shift kit already installed but it really slams into 2nd. Wifey hates it. What washers or springs do I need to change this and where is it located???
Old 08-31-2004, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you've got to take the pan down for that. I hate taking the pan down, makes a big mess.
Have you tried letting off the gas a bit when you think the truck's gonna shift? That's what I do with my Z28 when my g/f rides with me. Takes a bit to get used to.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I'm OK with taking the pan down. It bangs pretty hard even if I'm tyring to take it easy. 2-3 shift isn't too bad, the rest are OK. Can't drink my morning coffee!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull all of the washers out of the 2nd gear accumulator. That should soften the shifts a lot. Next, check the 2nd gear servo for shims. Remove those. If that doesnt do it, you'll have to buy some stock replacement parts. This is assuming its a Trans Go kit...if its any other brand, I'm not sure.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Once you pull the pan off, you'll notice a small housing with three bolts (one long and two short) towards the rear passenger side of the transmission. Remove it and see whats inside. If its TransGo, it will have an orange spring on top, a piston, a blue spring underneath, then a gold spring seat and it "may" have washers under it. If it does, remove them. (No washers is soft, one washer is crisp, two washers is very firm and three washers is hard)
If its any other brand, it might have an overly stiff or even a spacer in its place.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Restricted User

The 2nd gear accumulator is where you will find the spacers if this is a Trans-Go Performance Shift kit. Trans-Go does not eliminate the spring in the 2nd gear apply servo, they add one and you want to leave this alone. If the elimination of the spacers does not fix it, then you will need to address the 2nd gear accumulator in the valve body and/or reduce the 2nd gear feed hole size in the valve body seperator plate. Let me know if this works.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default listen up

Before I pulled the pan I'd check and see if they have the line pressure jacked up. it's been my experance the only time we have a hard hitter is with jacked up line pressure, of coarse I'm assuming you've got a transgo. I hope this helps ......Dave
Old 08-31-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the line pressure in your transmission program first. It may be jacked up too high. If not, then remove the accumulator piston and change the springs for something stiffer. This will lengthen but soften the shift.

Quick Reply: Need to soften 4L60E 1-2 shift - has shift kit