Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E or 4L80E?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E or 4L80E?

I am pretty mixed on which I should go with. I have done a search and read many many posts on both transmissions. I built my hybrid as shown in my sig and I am currently running a 700R4. I am going to be making an attempt to build a drivetrain that I dont have to worry much about. One I can beat on. We can never go fast enough so I cannot say what the end result will be on the power I will end up having from the motor.

I have heard many things about the 4L60E, how bad they are and how good they can be. I know people that have gotten good ones and others who go through them like nothing. I dont know if perhaps that has something to do with weather they were from an LT1 or LS1. I dont know if I want to take the risk of seeing if I can get a "good" one that wont give me a lot of problems.

I have heard alot about the 4L80E and mostly good things from these, but I am not sure how well they would react to my setup. I know they are electronic TH400's with OD. I dont know anyone who currently has one in their car set up for street and strip at all. Are they real compatable for the LS1 PCM to control if I have Edit to change things? Would this change the length of my Driveshaft? I know that these are a little pricey also.

So I dunno, which one would be the best choice? I want to take into consideration the fact of % of RWHP loss between both of these. I am really mixed on this, so any help and opinions and facts and what not would be a great help. Thanks a lot I really appriciate it. I have stated that I did do a search right? That I didnt get exactly what I was looking for from them. So I hope you guys can help.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I have never heard as the 4l80E being as strong as a T400 with overdrive. I would like to know for sure if they are strong in case i replace my 4l60E, i also want something i can beat on, make a few 10 sec passes but mostly for street abuse.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3l80e

Originally Posted by F1_SS
I have never heard as the 4l80E being as strong as a T400 with overdrive. I would like to know for sure if they are strong in case i replace my 4l60E, i also want something i can beat on, make a few 10 sec passes but mostly for street abuse.
that trans is a th 400 with a od in the front with 25% od. it's just heavy that's all. and you can BEAT on it. john
Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

The 4L80E is has more closely spaced gearing with a tall 2.48 first gear and a shorter OD than a 4L60E,it also weighes about 80lbs more than the 4L60E and is way stronger.If you are building a hybrid you might consider TCI's stand alone computer that will run either transmission.You will need a flywheel spacer to run the 4L80E on a LS1 type motor,unless you are using an early 6.0.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

The hybrid is built... The LS1 is in my car, I am currently using a 700R4, I am using a M^ PCM so its not looking for the 4L60E. I have the spacer already. I have everything I need, I am just looking to see which trans I should go with. What does that mean for my take off and what not with the closer gearing in the 80 from what it would be like with the 4L60E? Would it be better or worse, is basically waht I mean. ha. Again. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

You can run less gear with a 4L60E because it has a shorter first gear.With a 4L80E with 3.08 gears and 26"tires you would have a 65mph first gear and a 110mph second which might really work for you in a really high power combo capable of trapping 140+ in a 1/4mile.With less horsepower you would to go with a 3.73 or 4.10 gear to take advantage of the 4L80E's closer gear spacing.If you are making 600 horsepower or more go with the 4L80E because a 4L60E will not last at those power levels,if you are going with less power use the 4L60E.