Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to TA4U2NV
Default Making a clicking noise when going from park/reverse or park/drive?????

Help, sounds like my tranny is having some problems when I first start out driving it. When i put it into Drive, the makes a loud click when it goes into 1st, and it does it really loud when I put the car into reverse, also, I mashed on the freeway today and it downshifted to 2nd i believe and barely went anywhere, then finally dropped to 1st, it was odd, anyone know anything about it?
TA4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

Reviving old thread. Hopefully I'll find the answer doing the search, but no luck yet....
I also get a metallic click when shifting into reverse, kinda sounds like someone hitting the muffler with a screwdriver. Doesn't do it when the car is warm. Anyone??
wraith051373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 16

I also get that same sound and am curious as to what it may be, it doesn;t seem to affect drivability but it definatly annoying.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
TECH Enthusiast
2004 Pontiac GTO

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to J E T

I've also noticed this "clunking" or "clicking" noise after I shift from P to R, N, OD or D. I apply the brake, then put it into reverse and a split second after I do that, there's a "clunking" noise that occurs. The same thing occurs when putting it in neutral, over-drive or drive. I also notice it when it's shifting into 2nd and/or down shifting. What is this? Is it my flywheel or what? Should this be a concern?

SOLD! 2000 Z28 A4 - Sebring Silver

Last edited by 00 SLVR Z; 08-05-2005 at 09:23 AM..
J E T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I've also noticed this "clunking" or "clicking" noise after I shift from P to R, N, OV or D. I apply the brake, then put it into reverse and a split second after I do that, there's a "clunking" noise that occurs. The same thing occurs when putting it in neutral, over-drive or drive. I also notice it when it's shifting into 2nd and/or down shifting. What is this? Is it my flywheel or what? Should this be a concern?
00 SLVR Z,
Check your universal joints.

Last edited by nuzee; 08-05-2005 at 02:11 AM..
nuzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5

It's just a little slack in the drivetrain. Mine does it, the U-joints are fine, its the aluminum driveshaft that makes that metallic clink sound when putting it into gear. Although bad u-joints would make it worse.

I head of one guy drilling the shaft and filling it w/ foam to fix it. Or another route would be to get a lingenfelter driveshaft, supposedly that fixes it as well.

Pewter 01 WS6 TA: H/C | Stall | Headers/GMMG | 12 Bolt | Slowhawk Tuned *Teaser Clip of cam*
RIP: 04 Bonneville GXP
QUOTE: "The SS looks like it could kick your *** if it wanted to, the WS6 looks like it's coming over to do it!"
DannoWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Slack in the drivetrain IMO. Mine does it too, I've got a steel driveshaft, and when I go from P to any gear or N to any gear, the car "engages" the gear, and the car makes a click sound and jerks ever so slightly, because now if I let off the brake the car will roll. Did it with the stock converter, did it with the 3200 stall, and now with the 4000 stall. It was slightly more noticable with the converters, and noticably more pronounced after I had my tranny built, so the heavier duty clutch packs are probably the cause there. I kind of like the feeling actually.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

ive been told if the auto is equipped with 3.23 gears from the factory, then an aluminum driveshaft is used. The sound is the slack in the drivetrain like said before but the creaking has something to do with the twisting of the Al. driveshaft....

D
davidfnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
a4, audi, click, clicking, clinking, drive, gear, loud, mustang, noise, park, put, reverse, shifting, sound, ticking