Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Making a clicking noise when going from park/reverse or park/drive?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a clicking noise when going from park/reverse or park/drive?????

Help, sounds like my tranny is having some problems when I first start out driving it. When i put it into Drive, the makes a loud click when it goes into 1st, and it does it really loud when I put the car into reverse, also, I mashed on the freeway today and it downshifted to 2nd i believe and barely went anywhere, then finally dropped to 1st, it was odd, anyone know anything about it?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Reviving old thread. Hopefully I'll find the answer doing the search, but no luck yet....
I also get a metallic click when shifting into reverse, kinda sounds like someone hitting the muffler with a screwdriver. Doesn't do it when the car is warm. Anyone??
Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also get that same sound and am curious as to what it may be, it doesn;t seem to affect drivability but it definatly annoying.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've also noticed this "clunking" or "clicking" noise after I shift from P to R, N, OD or D. I apply the brake, then put it into reverse and a split second after I do that, there's a "clunking" noise that occurs. The same thing occurs when putting it in neutral, over-drive or drive. I also notice it when it's shifting into 2nd and/or down shifting. What is this? Is it my flywheel or what? Should this be a concern?

Last edited by 00 SLVR Z; 08-05-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I've also noticed this "clunking" or "clicking" noise after I shift from P to R, N, OV or D. I apply the brake, then put it into reverse and a split second after I do that, there's a "clunking" noise that occurs. The same thing occurs when putting it in neutral, over-drive or drive. I also notice it when it's shifting into 2nd and/or down shifting. What is this? Is it my flywheel or what? Should this be a concern?
00 SLVR Z,
Check your universal joints.

Last edited by nuzee; 08-05-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just a little slack in the drivetrain. Mine does it, the U-joints are fine, its the aluminum driveshaft that makes that metallic clink sound when putting it into gear. Although bad u-joints would make it worse.

I head of one guy drilling the shaft and filling it w/ foam to fix it. Or another route would be to get a lingenfelter driveshaft, supposedly that fixes it as well.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Slack in the drivetrain IMO. Mine does it too, I've got a steel driveshaft, and when I go from P to any gear or N to any gear, the car "engages" the gear, and the car makes a click sound and jerks ever so slightly, because now if I let off the brake the car will roll. Did it with the stock converter, did it with the 3200 stall, and now with the 4000 stall. It was slightly more noticable with the converters, and noticably more pronounced after I had my tranny built, so the heavier duty clutch packs are probably the cause there. I kind of like the feeling actually.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

ive been told if the auto is equipped with 3.23 gears from the factory, then an aluminum driveshaft is used. The sound is the slack in the drivetrain like said before but the creaking has something to do with the twisting of the Al. driveshaft....

D
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM

I had this problem too, actually pulling the handbrake before changing the gear from D to P is a good option to decrease the grinding sound... especially on slopes just pull the handbrake much. and then change the gear from D to P... Handbrake first on stop and Gear change first on start

Quick Reply: Making a clicking noise when going from park/reverse or park/drive?????