Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much difference b/w the "big name" convertors and "lower priced" ones? TH-400

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how much difference b/w the "big name" convertors and "lower priced" ones? TH-400

been talking to a shop/sponser on this board that is doing some work on our car and the idea of a TH400 (with brake RMVB etc etc) is becoming a reality. he suggests an A1 convertor citing they are pricy (about 900 dollars to start) but worth it. what is it about convertors like A1 and Neal Chance that make it worth so much more money when compared to companys like TCI? i am sure TCI will come in and answer. i just dont understand where some companys charge in some cases twice the price or more for very similar (in my research, but could be wrong) units.

i do understand that convertors are really everthing in the world of automatic high performance cars. they make or break the combo and i am willing to put the right part in. so inform me whats up.

TIA!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I understand there is no real secrets behind building converters. The money difference comes from simply better internals, more man hours, and custom builds suited to your application. I just ordered a converter from Steve at TCS. He is building a 9" verter specifically for my car and my motor and what I want out of it. While it's not the most expensive it's still costing me over $1000. He also said that if it turns out not to stall how we planned then they will restall it until it's right at no charge.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

ttt just wondering if anyone has any info.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of it is internals, some of it is paying for R&D, and some of it is paying for a proven performance, some of it is the higher cost of low volume shops.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went directly from a super street fighter 10" TCI unit that stalled at 3600 behind a 650hp/600ft combo. To a Hipster 9" unit with a 5100 stall. The converter is actually tighter meaning less throttle to move. but when I stab it it will zing up to stall right away. Hands down, it is a way smoother converter then the TCI. You get what you pay fore here.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

i dont have a th400 but what i gathered from someone tellin me the difference between yank and tci is that yank's parts are stronger and better. and i also heard that driveablity issues are much better than tci's! so i guess you could somewhat compare that to yout A1
Old 09-22-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you pay for what you get on convertors. i am still waiting on some money to come along to get a better convertor. right now i am running a used one i bought from a freind of a freind for $100. i dont even know the brand of it but it works ok i guess.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

John,

It's all in how strong the little mice inside are that make them go (j/k). I don't know how much trade secrets there are as any company that was loosing business could just buy a competitors and take it apart. However, I can tell you there is a big difference on the track in my experience for a top of the line converter vs. a moderately priced one. I can't answer your question directly, but your right that the converter is very key. I would, at a minimum, have one custom built by talking to a shop.

The best example I've seen in improvement is from my local tranny builder. He was running a popular brand name converter and decided to try a converter from a big name race company (don't ask me to publicly post company names as I'm not interested in bashing anyone). With no other change, he gained 4 tenths. That kinda gain is a big deal since the car is an altered that runs in the mid 8's.

Good luck with your choice.

Eric
Old 09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a P.I. converter that I will be getting rid of soon for a TCT converter, they are $1100, but suppously well worth it

Not a lot of internal slip like the cheaper ones, a lot more efficent
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

hmm just wanted opinions. thanks fellas. i know that the convertor is the key. been around enough fast cars to know you get what you pay for. as for advertising, it seems like the fastest cars with the "big boy" convertors dont advertise that much compared to the mid priced ones. in the end i am gonna listen to the builder/tuners for their advice and go with what works. you just never hear these brand names on boards like these but you go to big national events and they ask "who is yank?" lol.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default a-1

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
been talking to a shop/sponser on this board that is doing some work on our car and the idea of a TH400 (with brake RMVB etc etc) is becoming a reality. he suggests an A1 convertor citing they are pricy (about 900 dollars to start) but worth it. what is it about convertors like A1 and Neal Chance that make it worth so much more money when compared to companys like TCI? i am sure TCI will come in and answer. i just dont understand where some companys charge in some cases twice the price or more for very similar (in my research, but could be wrong) units.

i do understand that convertors are really everthing in the world of automatic high performance cars. they make or break the combo and i am willing to put the right part in. so inform me whats up.

TIA!
trans brake tc's have to be much stronger then a non. A-1 uses , what's called, a mechincal diode in the stator which is much stronger the a sprag or a roller clutch. they also use a lower temp. brazing to not soften the blades inside. sometimes you really get more when you pay more.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Coan uses needle bearings instead of a friction plates. First got mine, I thought something was broke when I heard stuff rattling around Called Coan and got the scoop. I'll never go back to anything less than a top dog. True what you say when you mention some brands to guys running 6 & 7 sec cars and their response is

Let us know what you do.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

A1. i will listen to alan futral. boy seems to know what he is talkin about!