Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im f***ing pissed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Im f***ing pissed

Two weeks ago i paid $2500 for a built trans. Car was driving great made good passes on the track, except that the car would shift into overdrive just before the 1/4mile. I thought to myself that the cars shiftpoints need to be raised from 6000 to 6400 or higher to finish the track in 3rd gear, so i took the car to Speed Inc. to have the shift points raised. When i got the car to their location Larry told me that the whole dyno tune is screwed up, and i need a new dyno. I told him ok, even though i did a dyno tune couple months before and the car dynoed at almost 380 rwhp. After the new dyno was complete Larry called me and told me to come get my car. Once i got to thier shop, i saw that my full bolt on car with a small cam made only 350 rwhp, so i told some other person that was taking care of me at Speed Inc. that im ok with the numbers as long as i take the car to the track and see that i make the same times, and more important about same miles, so today i called my friend and we started driving to the track. When i got on the highway i have noticed that the car wouldnt shift into 3rd or overdrive. Can someone tell me whats wrong with my car and what should be done to fix my problem?

Also, the person that built my trans put a small resistor somewhere in the main computer line that goes to the trans, he said that he put it in there to set the line pressure the way it has to be. Could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited by koniu77; 10-12-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

With a resistor in place of the Pressure Solenoid, one of two things is going on. Either the solenoid is left in place, which if left unplugged, will cause MAX line pressure. Or a vacuum modulator has been installed, which would mean you should have a vacuum line coming from the transmission.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

should i remove the resistor? and do you think my trans is damaged now?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did they convert you to vacuum modulation? Did you tell your tuner about the resistor?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

nope, just told him that my trans was built.

please, just tell my that my trans is fine and i need to redo the tune.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 PM
9 Second Club

When my shift solenoids were going bad, mine did the same thing. Did you get an SES light? If so, you can clear all codes with scan tool and see if that causes the tranny to shift again. That is what happened to mine and when I cleared the codes, it would shift again. I had to get the solenoids replaced though. BTW - mine is a built tranny too with vacuum modulation.

Not having 3rd or OD has nothing to do with the vacuum modulation - it has to do with the shift solenoids. If you had no line pressure, you wouldn't have any gears!

Dyno tuning the car should not have affected the transmission at all - not telling them about the resistor shouldn't be a problem, cause if they make changes to the line pressure in the computer, nothing will happen. Raising the shiftpoints however, will still work.

Something doesn't sound right at all from the get-go! If it were me, I would take the car somewhere else and get another opinion.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
When my shift solenoids were going bad, mine did the same thing. Did you get an SES light? If so, you can clear all codes with scan tool and see if that causes the tranny to shift again. That is what happened to mine and when I cleared the codes, it would shift again. I had to get the solenoids replaced though. BTW - mine is a built tranny too with vacuum modulation.

Not having 3rd or OD has nothing to do with the vacuum modulation - it has to do with the shift solenoids. If you had no line pressure, you wouldn't have any gears!

Dyno tuning the car should not have affected the transmission at all - not telling them about the resistor shouldn't be a problem, cause if they make changes to the line pressure in the computer, nothing will happen. Raising the shiftpoints however, will still work.

Something doesn't sound right at all from the get-go! If it were me, I would take the car somewhere else and get another opinion.

thx for good info, called the guy that built my trans, he's gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

will he have to take out the trany to get to the shift solenoids?

Last edited by koniu77; 10-12-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koniu77
thx for good info, called the guy that built my trans, he's gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

will he have to take out the trany to get to the shift solenoids?
No he wont have to remove the tranny to get to the shift solenoids. He will just drop the pan. The solenoids are easily accessible from underneath.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leave it in drive instead of overdrive at the track and you'll be able to run out the 1/4 in 3rd as long as your revlimiter is raised high enough.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 AM
9 Second Club

Call the tranny builder......for that kinda money, he needs to know whats going on if you expect him to stand buy it. Maybe he has something for you to check.