Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gear only, whats up????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st gear only, whats up????

First off, the car is a 89RS with a 99LS1 and 4L60E. Somehow a truck oil pan was put on the motor before I purchased it and I didnt notice it till the motor and trans were already in the car. Clearance was minimal but I figured I would change it out somwhere down the road. Well, I got to drive the car with absolutely no problems for 2 weeks before I smacked a bump in the road and cracked the oil pan. So I get a new pan and spend a week putting it in. I thought now everything is cool, WRONG. On the first test drive I find out that the tranny dosent want to shift out of first gear. It pulls like a mule but just wont shift.

The biggest problem I have is that I have no scan tool or anything to scan codes with right now. Is there anyhting I can check in the tranny with a multimeter for now? The fluid was right on, the filter looked fine, I have 12V at the plug (the rest of the wires in the tranny I'm clueless on), cooler lines are fine, everything else is exactly the same when it was working perfectly before the oil pan install. I hope I didnt doof up the input shaft or something during that process, but everything went back together fine. I dunno.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm just at the end of my rope.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Anyone???? The car was such a blast to drive for those two weeks, no I'm starting to get withdraws.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Does the speedometer still work? The PCM must see so many MPH before it will command a 1-2 shift.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Launching!

I'm having the same thing on my 1994 camaro with a 1998 LS1 auto. I have been driving the car for almost 3 weeks with no problems (other than my driveshaft and a frozen tie rod which were replaced). I started driving the car last night and as soon as I hit 25 mph, my rpms goes from 1500 to 3000 rpms. If I apply more pressure on the gas, the rpms go to about 3400-3500 rpms and my speed goes to about 40mph. It feels like the car is having problems shifting to the next gear. Fluid looks good also. My speedometer on my 1998 V8 cluster works fine.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Hmmm... The stock speedo is mechanical so I havent bought the box to hook it up yet, but that gets me wondering about the wires for the VSS maybe getting pinched or something. Its plugged in, but they may have gotten damaged some how. I'll go check that ASAP. Thanks alot man. I'll start crossing my fingers now.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Launching!

The tranny is officially toasted now. I checked all of the wires and they were fine, so I bolted the pan back up and filled the fluid up and took it for another ride. I took it up to about 5K rpms and then everything went wrong. Now it makes a horrible clanking sound and wont engage any gear.

So I guess I'll start hunting for another tranny. I still cant figure out why it started acting up. I mean it was fine before the oil pan went in, but now its hosed. Oh well, time to move on.

Thanks for the help Team Tripp.