Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e install in a 67chevy ll

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e install in a 67chevy ll

Guys I need some help here I am getting a 4l80e trans for my car. I would like some of you that have the trans to help me with parts that are needed and where.
I DID THE SEARCH AND READ BACK 1 YEAR!

1) who makes a 3000 rpm converter with lockup for it? staying under 1000.00
2) I have a 700r4 now, will I need a new spline shaft on the driveshaft?
3) I will be using a speedpro controller.
4) On the 98 model trans which line is the feed and which is the return?
5) Will a 98 model trans bolt uo to a early model block? pre 87.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default questions

Originally Posted by Lethal Injection
Guys I need some help here I am getting a 4l80e trans for my car. I would like some of you that have the trans to help me with parts that are needed and where.
I DID THE SEARCH AND READ BACK 1 YEAR!

1) who makes a 3000 rpm converter with lockup for it? staying under 1000.00
2) I have a 700r4 now, will I need a new spline shaft on the driveshaft?
3) I will be using a speedpro controller.
4) On the 98 model trans which line is the feed and which is the return?
5) Will a 98 model trans bolt uo to a early model block? pre 87.
1-g-racing 2-yes and shorter 4-the return is the top 5-yes
Old 10-15-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

TCI has torque converters for the 4L80-E. They are in-stock at Summit usually.

The tailshaft is different and much larger. You'll need a 1350 yoke. The 4L80-E tailshaft is drilled for an optional fixed yoke - if you don't mind using a splined driveshaft.

The SpeedPro / TCI Transmission Controller is AWESOME. I have one and completely love it. You will need to retrofit a throttle position sensor to your carb. (if carb'd) It also need tach signal. The controller can be programmed to shift whenever you want as hard or soft as you like, it can lock up the torque converter at whatever speed you want and as hard as you would like it to. The controller supports paddle or slap-stick input for manu-matic fingertip shifting. It also has a performance mode that will raise line pressure across the board XX %. Fantastic piece of equipment.

On a 98 model 4L80-E the cooling outlet (hot) is up front and the return (cool) is in the back. Be carefull with the inlet, it must have the proper fitting installed that protrudes through the case and seals into the center support.

Everything will bolt up easily. The 4L80-E has ears on on the bellhousing for medium duty applications. With long tube headers these will probably have to be cut off. The rear support on the 80 is further back and higher that a 700R4, keep that in mind.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Im putting a 4l80 with full manual shifting into my car next week. I just had chris at Wicked Performance Converters build me a nice 3800 stall for it. Ill let ya know how it works out.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by James B.
TCI has torque converters for the 4L80-E. They are in-stock at Summit usually.

The tailshaft is different and much larger. You'll need a 1350 yoke. The 4L80-E tailshaft is drilled for an optional fixed yoke - if you don't mind using a splined driveshaft.

The SpeedPro / TCI Transmission Controller is AWESOME. I have one and completely love it. You will need to retrofit a throttle position sensor to your carb. (if carb'd) It also need tach signal. The controller can be programmed to shift whenever you want as hard or soft as you like, it can lock up the torque converter at whatever speed you want and as hard as you would like it to. The controller supports paddle or slap-stick input for manu-matic fingertip shifting. It also has a performance mode that will raise line pressure across the board XX %. Fantastic piece of equipment.

On a 98 model 4L80-E the cooling outlet (hot) is up front and the return (cool) is in the back. Be carefull with the inlet, it must have the proper fitting installed that protrudes through the case and seals into the center support.

Everything will bolt up easily. The 4L80-E has ears on on the bellhousing for medium duty applications. With long tube headers these will probably have to be cut off. The rear support on the 80 is further back and higher that a 700R4, keep that in mind.
Thanks guys for the responses.

I am a little lost on the tailshaft with a fixed yoke. Do you have any pictures?Will there be any issues with a 9" rear-end u-joints?
I have fuel injection so I guess I can use the TPS on it.

I have a empty case that I will use to see how much work my tunnel will need.

I am looking forward to this. I have been through two 700r4's rebuilds and was thinking about going to a turbo 350 or 400.

With the speedpro can you manually shift why racing or does it shift by rpm set points?

Last one for now. Is there a dust cover for this trans? I assume it is and can be bought at local chebby dealer.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by john kilgore
1-g-racing 2-yes and shorter 4-the return is the top 5-yes
How can I get in touch with g-racing?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by offaxis
Im putting a 4l80 with full manual shifting into my car next week. I just had chris at Wicked Performance Converters build me a nice 3800 stall for it. Ill let ya know how it works out.
If you don't mind me asking how much did the converter cost and how do I get in touch with them?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am a little lost on the tailshaft with a fixed yoke. Do you have any pictures? Will there be any issues with a 9" rear-end u-joints?
Usually the yoke slides along the splines of the tailshaft to allow for rear end movement and suspension articulation. The 4L80-E has a drilled output staft so that a fixed yoke can be use in combination with a splined driveshaft. This setup is stronger, the tailshaft housing seal will last longer, you can grease the driveshaft, and the splines will not bind when movement is needed under extreme torque. The disadvantage is weight. These have to be steel, the one in the picture weighs 24 pounds.
My old 3.5" aluminum shaft is on top:

This is a 4L80-E with a fixed yoke:

With the speedpro can you manually shift why racing or does it shift by rpm set points?
You can manually hold gears with it using the manual linkage selector. The controller also support manu-matic mode and needs 3 switches for that. One for switching auto/manual, one for gear up, and one for gear down. In automatic mode the shiftpoints are determined on a plot graph using TPS vs speed in MPH. There are three or these tables that have to be set up - one for each shift. For WOT the controller also supports RPM-based shifting. The TPS setpoint beyond which the controller shall consider WOT is also definable. Shifts on the 80 using this controller are very consistent. It would be preferrable to progam it perfectly and let the controller do the shifting. This will take some trial and error, but it's very easy to adjust and can be done live in real-time by a person in the passenger seat while you are driving.

Last one for now. Is there a dust cover for this trans? I assume it is and can be bought at local chebby dealer.
Yes, the dealer can get them. Pretty cheap too. 2WD truck use a stamped painted steel cover. 4x4 trucks use a cast aluminum cover.