4l60e woes :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy 4l60e woes :(

I am posting this for my lil brother...

first a little back ground.
2002 WS6. most boltons, long tubes, G5x2 cam, dual springs, 4000 Yank extream converter, 3.73's, NX wet kit, built tranny with 5 gear planeteries, HD drum, HD sun shell, shift kit, blah blah blah... pretty much everything you can build a 4l60e with.

Here is what he said...
ok, i have a built 4l60e, and it ha been acting up, i have had it rebuilt 3 or 4 times, cause i kept burning the 3-4 clutches up. well i was driving the car a few days ago, and 1st is fine, pulls hard, 2nd is fine, pulls hard, then it goes to 3rd, and red lines, let out of it, and it just idles real slow, so i give it gas again, goes to redline again, i figure the 3-4 clutches are gone again . so i stop, and pull over, look at the fluid, and it looks ok, doesn't smell burnt or anything, so i am like i get back on the road and run it throught the gears this time, and everything is fine till 3rd and OD, seems like they are not even there if you try to accelerate. i turn around and go home and park it. frustrated at the situation, i look at it the next day , and go try driving it again, to see if i can hear anything unusual, get out on the street and 1st is good, second is good, and 3rd is good, you feel the TC lock up, and thn it shifts to 4th fine and TC locks up, all of this at idle, so i get to a straight away and slow to about 20, and nail it. as usual it turns sideways blowing the tires of in 1st and second, and then catches 3rd and pulls hard to 125 and shifts perfect to OD, and pulls hard. so i slow down and run it through the gears this time, and it works perfect again. so i was like ok, it must have just been acting up, all is good now. well friday i go out and drive the car, and low and behold, 3rd and OD act like they are not there, so i get to my destination and park it, get pissed off, cuss at it a while, and then decide to go home, and the Damn thing works perfect going home. anybody give me any idea's??? i thought it might be a shift solonoid, but i heard if it was a shift solonoid, it would shift throught the gears manually fine, but just not if you put it in OD and let it shift itself, so i am confused
I will reiterate, the tranny is built and tuned with edit. It will work flawlessly sometimes and sometimes it will act like 3rd and 4th arent there at all. We have tried when the car is warm and sometimes it works some times it doesnt, whe have tried it with it cold and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. We have tried manually shifting it through the gears and by letting it shift through the gears. Same thing, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. We have flushed the fluid and it is clean and unburnt. We do have a nex shift sol sitting in the garage we can put in it again to check it out. We are clueless. ANyone with any info it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Danny
Old 10-18-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if its just 'letting loose' instead of engaging in the 3rd gear shift, its pucked. same thing happened to me after i had mine rebuilt 2 times prior. buy a TCI.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If he keeps losing 3-4(which is normal with boltons, nx and WOT shifts) I would add an extreme amount of torque management to the 3-4 shift. Say in the order of 40 degrees pulled. Thats the only thing I can suggest to extend 3-4 life other than swapping in a 4L80E
Old 10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Sounds like the 2-3 shift valve is hanging up.Common problem when some (so-called) tranny builder rebuilds and doesn't dissasemble the entire valve body.Need to have it built right and tuned right.The programminig is just as important as the build.
Smokingws6...."I Would add an extreme amount of torque management to the 3-4 shift. Say in the order of 40 degrees pulled"...NOT SO actually if you have a trans go shift kit you need to turn off torque management for it to work right.