Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually Shifting A4

Old 11-04-2004, 11:26 AM
RAN
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manually Shifting A4

I know this has been discussed before (did search), but i would like a definitive answer from either a professional transmission builder familar with 4l60E transmissions, and/or someone at Trans-Go, with whom I can't get in touch. Will it hurt my A4 with Trans Go shift kit to be manually shifted at the track??

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

you may run slower by shifting, let the computer do it. Easier on the tranny that way
Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 PM
RAN
Staging Lane

My car has been tuned, and still shifts early on the 1-2 shift. I'm willing to try manually shifting at the track if it won't hurt the trans.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RAN
My car has been tuned, and still shifts early on the 1-2 shift. I'm willing to try manually shifting at the track if it won't hurt the trans.
oh it hurts the tranny..even though i do it when i race from a roll ... but you'll blow your tranny if you manually shift it often.

If you do shift manually, try to replace your tranny fluid often. i heard it help
Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Launching!

I ride a lot in 3rd gear and in 2nd gear sometimes....could this also be bad for the car? I rarely ever shift it until I stop and I never downshift it unless I'm stopped.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Restricted User

I have a shift kit in mine and manually shift it all the time while I am playing around on the street. From what I read, you get more line pressure on the shifts when you shift manually. BUT when I am at the track I always leave it in drive. You cannot shift it as consistantly as when the tranny does it by itself.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Restricted User

Use the "modified" Trans-Go full manual with vacuum modulator, (more pressure & volume of oil to the clutches/band). This will give you the best chance at a long life with this transmission.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's "tuned, but shifts early" then it's just mis-tuned.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been cramming mine as hard as anyone can torture one ... for 33000 miles. It doesn't even know it's an automatic because I ONLY manually shift ... everytime I climb in it. It's a '99. I just had it in to the dealership for internal inspection and they told me it looks like new and fully meets GM factory spec's.

Maybe I'm just lucky it hasn't busted on me. I came on here to ask the same question tonight. BTW, it's the stock transmisison that came with the car.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

this debate has gone back and forth, and nobdoy can really provide a definitive reason why manually UPSHIFTING the tranny will hurt it. it's always been a longstanding rumor that many (including myself) used to believe but the more i research it, the more i find it to likely be a myth.

when i had a stock tune on a stock converter, i consistently ran a tenth or so faster manually shifting it because the stock shift point was too low.

you're not really manually SHIFTING the car so much as you're simply ALLOWING it to shift itself at whatever time you choose. obviously you're not going to be able to shift "faster" than the computer because the computer is still doing the shifting itself. (for some reason everyone argues there's no point to manually shifting because of this??? )...the performance gain is in the shift POINT, not the shift SPEED and more than one other person on here has confessed to going just a bit quicker shifting manually. (remember this is on a stock car, once you have a tune, and/or a high stall, i've found there's no longer any point to doing it).

also, the higher line pressure thing is correct. since the MAXIMUM line pressure is still controlled by parameters programmed in the PCM, i can't really see you over-boosting your line pressure by shifting manually. the benefit of slightly higher pressure is more holding power in the clutch packs (resulting in less slippage which in turn means more efficient power transfer and less heat caused by friction).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manually Shifting A4