Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convertor lockup issue

Little info first...
Car: 97 T/A LT1
Tranny: 4L60E w/ Vig 3200 stall

The problem is recently the convertor doesnt feel like it is locking up in OD. I have been having a problem with the trans slipping in OD for the past couple of weeks. All other gears are fine and do not slip. The fluid level is fine and was replaced when I put the convertor in about 6 months ago. I have two questions. What are the requirements for the convertor to lockup? Would OD slipping cause the convertor to not lockup?

thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rocmemphis
Little info first...
Car: 97 T/A LT1
Tranny: 4L60E w/ Vig 3200 stall

The problem is recently the convertor doesnt feel like it is locking up in OD. I have been having a problem with the trans slipping in OD for the past couple of weeks. All other gears are fine and do not slip. The fluid level is fine and was replaced when I put the convertor in about 6 months ago. I have two questions. What are the requirements for the convertor to lockup? Would OD slipping cause the convertor to not lockup?

thanks.
Hi this is dave from yank converters can you tell me are you getting a code 1870 when this unit does this? Also did you try it in D3 to see if it will throw a code 1870 in that gear that would also tell you if you have a D4 issue.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Need to determine whether it's OD slipping (abnormal)
or just the TCC slipping (semi-normal, but maybe sucks).
TCC pressure is modulated by TCC PWM, down from main
PWM. That in turn has some trans temperature profile to
it as well as load based.

If you can monitor the input & output shaft speeds and
the TCC Slip PID that will tell you where the slip is.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DAVE AT YANK.
Hi this is dave from yank converters can you tell me are you getting a code 1870 when this unit does this? Also did you try it in D3 to see if it will throw a code 1870 in that gear that would also tell you if you have a D4 issue.
I am not throwing any codes as of yet. I have been driving around town in D3 and then putting it in OD on the highway to avoid the slipping. In D3 everything is fine. Once it reaches 4th and I hit the gas it will slip up to around 4800 RPM before it actually catches.