Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L60E help please

hey guys, new to the "tranny" scene. my 4L60E in my '94 bird is goin bad. before i installed a new filter and pan gasket (becuase of a blown gasket) the conveter didnt wana stall at mid to high rpm ranges, and it would even grind when it was trying to (im only guessing it was my converter). after the filter and gasket change it still does it and its getn worse. im not a tranny expert but aside from a bad converter, maybe its a bad servo slipping or something?? please help.

also, im just thinkin of getn a whole new tranny. what would b good for a slightly modded 94 LT1?? thanks for any help, im gona dig through this section of LS1tech and do some homework on trannys.

ps. furgot to mention that while driving, letting off the throttle at any speed the rpms will drop down to idle as a manual tranny would do when the clutch is depressed and seperates from the motor.

Last edited by LT1Burnout; 11-07-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
.....it would even grind when it was trying to (im only guessing it was my converter). after the filter and gasket change it still does it and its getn worse......letting off the throttle at any speed the rpms will drop down to idle as a manual tranny would do when the clutch is depressed and seperates from the motor.
Yes, your torque converter is probably toast. Changing the fluid and filter does not resolve mechanical problems. At this point you should stop driving it until it is repaired. It the converter clutch should happen to come apart the debris can clog the cooling lines and/or the cooler itself. Without cooling the transmission will overheat and suffer greater than it already has. You could have other problems too. There may be an issue with overrun or line pressures...
Old 11-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Launching!

thanks for the reply, i'll change my converter asap and pray i dont have other problems.. thanks again
Old 11-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

AS I read your explanation this is not an issue of your T.C. T.C.'s do not stall all the time or at certain speeds. Basically when you are taking off from a stop or dropping gears. Is your tranny slipping? Probably your clutches are burning out.

Pull your dipstick smell the fluid and wipe the stick on a white piece of paper. Good tranny should be reddish/pink fluid with no burnt smell. Bad fluid will be reddish/brown and will smell kinda like burning brakes.

Your T.C. is a lockup T.C. when you let off the throttle it will idle down as it unlocks.

You are probably looking at a rebuild.

Ken
Old 11-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kcsoz20

Pull your dipstick smell the fluid and wipe the stick on a white piece of paper. Good tranny should be reddish/pink fluid with no burnt smell. Bad fluid will be reddish/brown and will smell kinda like burning brakes.

Ken

it stinks of burnt crap, yes.. rebuild huh, lucky me..