Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny fluid, should it be changed?

Old 11-14-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny fluid, should it be changed?

I got my PT4000 installed and they said my fliud was a little burnt, and in a little while my tranny will take a crap. They also said it wouldnt be a good idea to change my fluid as it will make the tranny go sooner. I thought I have heard that this is true, but I wanted some opinions. Looks like Im saving up for a new tranny.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um yes! I change mine once a year, which might be a little overkill but w/o good fluid, your tranny will run hotter which will inturn burn up clutches and lead to an expensive rebuild.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if its on its way out dont bother changing it.

now is the time for a trans upgrade.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Change it and the filter. Minimize the amount of junk circulating in your tranny.

Do you have a cooler? If not, get one ASAP.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

True...get a cooler. The converter you have will generate a lot more heat. Keep the tranny, converter, and fluid cool. Im no expert on this, but I was going to suggest to change the fluid and filter as well.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02 cents..... I traded for a mercury sable a few years ago. The guy had just decided it needed the trans fluid changed. When he let it down off the jacks it wouldn't pull out of it's tracks. I did everything I could and never got it going til I put in another transmission. I've since been told that if the fluid is changed regularly then keep it changed and it will extend the life of the transmission, if it has high miles and has never been changed then don't bother or you'll be flushing out the gunky glue which is holding it together. I guess this will be as true on GM trans as well as fords.
I'm not a transmission mechanic so I can't say, but this has been the opinion of several people I've talked to.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyj
My .02 cents..... I've since been told that if the fluid is changed regularly then keep it changed and it will extend the life of the transmission, if it has high miles and has never been changed then don't bother or you'll be flushing out the gunky glue which is holding it together. I guess this will be as true on GM trans as well as fords.
I'm not a transmission mechanic so I can't say, but this has been the opinion of several people I've talked to.
Dittos. I had the same experience when I flushed the tranny on my 65 LeMans. Started slipping right afterwards. If it's a high mileage tranny with funky fluid, it's best to keep the gunk in there. Knowledgeable tranny guys have affirmed this.

Search this Thread